Need help getting more clean up crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamHorton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So a while ago (before I started stocking my tank) I got a clean-up crew for my 150G. I knew I'd have to expand it at some point. I got 30 or so snails and 10 or so hermit crabs. Since then (actually it didn't take very long), the hermit crabs successfully killed every single snail I put in there, and are now the hermit crabs are the only clean-up crew I have, aside from two peppermint shrimp.

I want to get more clean-up crew, but I don't know what to do because I'm afraid that whatever I get will just be killed by the hermit crabs. There has never been a shortage of shells in the tank; I think the crabs have formed a gang and have something against snails.

Any suggestions on how I can have more of a clean-up crew for this tank? Thanks.

I had the same problem and moved all the hermits to the sump where they lived until their time was up (1-2 years).

I try to use only snails, but I have 2 brittle stars (one may just died, been in the tank for 6 years), 2 cucumbers and then my snail crews.

Astrea Snail-most common of all saltwater tank snails. They are excellent algae eaters and will forage all over the rock, sand, and glass. They fall very easily and can not right themselves up and then die unless you right them.

Banded Trochus Snail - Large snails that are excellent algae eaters although are very slow about it. They guys have a hard time picking themselves up if stranded in the middle of the sand.

Bumblebee snails- Not very hardy. Marginal algae eaters, but more of a detritus grazer. They can prey on other snails and sand bed critters.

Cerith Snails (Cortez) - Good algae and detritus eaters that forage rock, glass, and sand. Some can pick themselves up and some cant.
Cerith Snails (White)- Good algae and detritus eaters that seem to stay in the sand more than the cortez, but can be found on the rock and glass. Once again, some can pick themselves up and others cant. They are good sand bed snails to shift the substrate around.

Conch Snails - These are all about the sand bed and are very cool to watch. They usually dont get flipped over, but if they do, they can kick around and turn themselves back upright.They very hardy too.

Mexican Turbo Snails - super fast grazer that will knock out some algae in no time. They mostly stay on rocks and glass, but will work the top of the sandbed too. These may be cold water snails that dont do so well in a reef. But, once they are adjusted... they seem to be very hardy and active. Mine are going on two years and are huge now. I originally got them for a hair algae problem. They do tend to knock over anything that is not glued in place (corals, clams, rocks, etc.)

Nassarius Snails - They mostly stay in the sand, but will sometimes make short trips up the glass. They are mainly detritus eaters and do an excellent job cleaning and shifting the sand. I think these are also some of the most hardy snails out there. These guys can flip themselves upright very easily and quickly. They are fun to watch as they come bursting out of the sand bed at feeding time.

Nerite Snails - Mostly a rock and glass snail that are all about the algae. The dont move very fast but the areas they have been in are clean as a bell. These guys like to crawl out of the water some. I recently found one that "jumped ship" and was on the outside rim of the tank. These are great snails, but also have trouble turning themselves back over. Mine usually end up in the sump where they can get above the water line and come back down when they want to.

Stomatella Snails - They are supposed to reproduce very well. No personal experience w/ them.

Strombus Snails (Strombus maculatus )these are excellent snails that reproduce very well. They seem to be mostly sandbed snails and will occasionally make there way up to about the 1-3 inch line of rock work.

You sure it's the hermits that killed off ALL the snails? IMO, water conditions over a period of time might not be good for them. They seem more sensitive to me than crabs. Nothing scientific, just observation on my part. Or they starve.

Well I did catch quite a few of them in the act, including some rather small hermit crabs taking down some rather large snails. It was kind of surprising to watch, actually. I don't know that all of them were hermit crab-related casualties, but I'm sure at least half were...

I'm interested in keeping the hermit crabs in my sump or refugium, maybe it will work with my setup? I'm worried about a few things, which may end up being nothing:

How would I get them down there? I assume I would just pick them up with my hands or a pair of tongs and move them down there? That means it might be fun to try getting them all, and it might take a while. If that's all there is to it, that's cool, I think I could manage it.

Now my refugium setup: Here's a video of the latest:

YouTube - New sump/refugium plumbing

I don't want that chaeto to get eaten, and I'm growing a nice pod population on the LR in that refugium. My mandarin enjoys it when they get sucked into the pump and snacks come floating into the display tank for him. I'm guessing that putting them in the refugium would probably be a bad idea since they would eat both the chaeto and the pods? I suppose I could keep them in the sump, but I eventually want a protein skimmer and I have no idea if that would be a problem or not...

Without changing the plumbing (like adding another tank or something) do you think they would have a good home down there? Or should I maybe start looking for a LFS to give/sell them to? A divider wouldn't be too much trouble, but I don't see a solution right away to that while keeping everything I already have...

A dead or almost dead snail being eaten by a hermit still doesn't mean it killed it. What exactly didja see for those you're sure of?

I saw a hermit crab push a snail so that its "trapdoor" was exposed, and relentlessly try and pry it open for a while. I'm guessing this happened until the snail couldn't hold out any longer (though I never actually saw that part). Eventually there was an empty shell in the same position.

The hermits wont eat the chaeto. They will eat any detritus that finds its way there from the DT. At least mine did.

Back
Top Bottom