Need Help Getting Started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nemo6292

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am stepping up to a 55g. reef tank from a 30g. reef tank. I have been doing some research and figuring. My current setup is sumpless. I am going with the Aqueon ProFlex Model 2 sump with the Berlin setup and live rock. I guess I'll go with a HOB overflow box, Eshopps. I am also going to go with a Reef Octopus skimmer in sump. By the way, I only paid 75.00 for the tank itself and am going to build my own stand for it. I am def going to keep everyone posted in this build. As of now I have 0 knowledge on skimmers, sumps, overflow boxes, etc. I know the purpose and how they work but don't know "everything". So any comments as I begin this journey would be helpful.

Are you upgrading or just getting a second tank? If upgrading use the 30 as a sump to save u some money and I highly reccomend drilling or having someone else drill your tank. Makes life a whole lot easier.

I am still going to have my 30g tank as well, and eventually trade it in for a store credit at the LFS I use. I would drill, but I am just going to stick with the overflow box. My first question is this, I realize how the water will enter the sump but after it gets to the last chamber, how does it then get back to the tank. My last chamber will be the skimmer....

The last chamber should be your return chamber where (if going with HOB overflow) you will need to get a internal or external pump that will match your overflow

The skimmer should be in the first chamber where the water drains from the main tank into the sump. That way excess bubbles from the skimmer can escape the water before the return pump sends the water back into the display tank.

It isn't pretty but here is what I made for the sump its a 30 gallon tank with three chambers. First is for the inlet from the overflow, it also has my skimmer in it.2nd is the refuge area with sand rock extra heater and cheating, and last I grew with above should be your return.

ForumRunner_20121208_165332.jpg

ForumRunner_20121208_165314.jpg

Don't suggest hob type overflow if u r able to drill the tank before u start. Hob can fail and flood ur room quite easy especially when the lift pump fail to keep the air out from the hob

I appreciate everyones input, but there's no way I'm drilling this glass, although i would love to and know it's the better route to go. I don't trust myself to do it, and there's no one around here where I live that does it. About the sump, I am going to buy, either the Aqueon ProFlex Model 2 or the Trigger Systems Crystal/Ruby Sump. I don't want to have to mess with the headache of building one. I'm also going with a HOB overflow without a prefilter which can clog and lead to flooding. The setup on the Aqueon Sump can only be setup to run a Skimmer in the 2nd or 3rd chamber. Both have to pass through a sponge that rids the micro bubbles before being pumped back into the tank. I'm def going to overkill the filtration system so I can stock this tank without any worries.

Depends on the type of overflow you want and whether or not the bottom pane is tempered (a lot are). You could drill the sides back or bottom. My favorite way is the back pane but a lot of people like the bottom. The side panels are good for sumps and when doing rows of tanks.

How would I go about drilling the back panes? Would I drill at the top or bottom?

If I could drill, I like the systems with a high drilled hole in the back for overflow. Seems like the safest to keep from completely overflowing IMO. Or maybe that is the system that I can get my head around the best.

SRC

San Raphael Catfish said:
If I could drill, I like the systems with a high drilled hole in the back for overflow. Seems like the safest to keep from completely overflowing IMO. Or maybe that is the system that I can get my head around the best.

SRC

I like that method, too. Mostly because it means you can use a smaller overflow box that's more discrete in the tank.

I will come back to drilling/HOB. In the meantime I am buying the Aqueon ProFlex Model 2 Sump. I would like to know what would be a good choice of Protein Skimmer. I am wanting more than enough filtration for this tank in case I move on up to a 75g tank. So my filtration needs to be more than sufficient... Any thoughts??

Back
Top Bottom