Need help, new to salt water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BamBamFishKid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

After a while of keeping freshwater fish an idea popped into my mind, what about saltwater?
So i did some research about costs and found that it wouldn't cost as much as i thought.
How much would it cost to setup a basic reef tank (20 gallons.) what fish/ inverts could i keep in it? I don't want to spend too much on fish but i want color. What should i get? I dont want to spend over like 150 for the whole setup but i know it will be hard to stay on budget. if you could recomend a filter,fish,inverts, ect that would be great.

I hate to say it but you are probably looking at at least double $150 and that doesn't include livestock. :-(

if you don't want any corals you can save a bit of money as you won't need powerful lights.

You'll probably go through the $150 just for the tank, filter, powerheads, heater and light plus a small bag of salt. Then you have to consider sand, a hydrometer to test salinity, test kit, rock both live and dead. ( you could save a few bucks here too if you used all dead rock but it would take a bit longer to cycle and you wouldnt have any neat hitchhikers)

So i did some research about costs and found that it wouldn't cost as much as i thought.

Yeah. That idea fades quickly once you walk in a fish store :lol:.

The least expensive tank setup would be:
used/on sale 20 gallon-$20
DIY stand (wook & paint)-$50ish (free if you already have furni to support it)
filter rated at least double tank size (say AquaClear 50)- $38+$5 shipping
AquaClear 50 Power Filter - Up to 50 gal. | thatpetplace.com
Glass heater (titanium is preferred, but not necessary) -$21
Submersible Aquarium Heater - 50W - 9 in. - up to 20 Gallon
25 (might want 50) lbs sand-$20-24
30 lbs dry rock usually at least $2.5/lb-$75 BRS Reef Saver Dry Aquarium Live Rock - Bulk Reef Supply
light (largest investment), say 120 watt ebay LED -$120
hydrometer-$10
5 gal salt mix-$60-70
RO/DI filter=$200 or buy RO/DI water from LFS or RO from grocery store
Then there's maintenance & food

You're looking at minimum $349 not including livestock! Sounds expensive, but compared to other systems, it's fairly cheap. If you can find a used system you'll save a lot. Most saltwater fish are $20 ea. Coral frags are usually $10-30. It really adds up fast!

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=15+2124
Love the midas blenny, purple firefish, & gobies are always great.

Well i already have a 20 gallon tank, and a filter, i also have a hood, but not lights meant for coral(dont want coral).

you would need live, rock dry rock is cheeper and with a proper cycle it becomes loaded with bacteria, i would skip the damsels and go with clown fish. get the rock,salt,sand, and powerheads set the tank up let it cycle. once cycled add a couple fish, let the bacteria catch up, add the shrimp,

If you don't need lighting for corals then most of the cost is removed from the setup. I would still go with a fairly robust lighting system just for the visual aspect. Maybe a dual t5ho or t5he. I had a dual t5ho over my 20g tank and it was just about the minimum amount of light I would want over a reef tank. It also let me keep soft corals if you decide to change your mind down the road.

As for the dry rock / live rock I would skip the live and go with dry. The live rock is unnecessary.

Other than that the figures are a fairly good ballpark average.

Back
Top Bottom