Need Help on My New 75

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quikksilver8

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to the forum and to saltwater fish and just wanted to know if a fluval 404 and and aquaclear 500 (aka 110) would be enough filtration for my 75. I will be starting out with fish only. Just thought i'd ask you guys because one of the guys I talked to in the fish store said it would be ok. And if this is enough filtration for just fish what would I have to ad for coral, I have a power compact light coming on wednesday it has four bulbs in it, two 12,000k daylight and two actinic blues.

Thanks

If you're planning on doing corals (or any other moderately sensitive inverts) eventually, most recommend using live rock + skimmer for your filtration. If you're going to stick with fish only, most people who don't do Fish Only With Live Rock (FOWLR), use wet/dry trickle filter + skimmer (sometimes called Dutch Style) - some hardy corals like mushrooms and filter feeding inverts can actually do better in such a tank. That said, there are those who successfully use HOB or cannister filters for SW, so they can better advise on what the best equipment to use.

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
The filtration you mentioned will be just fine for a FO tank. Looking into LR will certainly help out your tank. It is the best form of biological filtration you can get and extrememly beneficial to any tank. The lighting you have on the way will provide you with the ability to add a good variety of corals down the road.

Will i need new filtration for corals? I guess i forgot to mention that i was planning on adding live rock in my first post. :D

No, as mentioned, lots of LR (1.5-2lbs/gal) and agressive skimming are your best bets for filtration

And you want multiple powerheads (and/or sump pump) to create enough flow (usually a recommended total GPH 10-20 times the volume of your tank depending on your livestock) to ensure your LR is properly doing itd filtering job.

My best advice would be to set your tank up to house corals. You are already interested in corals so save the money on the other filters and buy a good skimmer and live rock as mentioned above. The fish will also be happy. I did the same thing when I started out with a FO tank and now I'm switching to a sump/fuge setup. With the money I spent on HOB filters I could have been halfway there.

Oh yeah...WELCOME!

HTH
Stephen

Well, the reason I am using those two filters was because i was keeping african cichlids and since I did that successfully i figured I would try the challenge of a saltwater tank. So what do you guys think I should do if I still want to use those two filters. What type of tank could I set up with them.

I also forgot to mention i have about 60 pounds of live sand in my tank, does that change anything.

Sorry didn't realize you already had those filter. If I had them I would use them even if it was just for circulation.

I use te fluval 404 on my tank but only for the added water volume and circulation. I took out the foam because it just holds the junk and acts as a nitrate factory.

You can use the cannister and HOB w/o media just for flow, and then depend on the LS you have, the LR you're planning to get, and a skimmer for your filtration. You can put LR rubble in the HOB for that extra bit of filtration.

so what if i had a power compact fixture for lighting, and then a fluval 404 an aquaclear 500gph and a protein skimmer for filtration and live sand What could I do with that?

It is a 48 inch odyssea. It sells in stores around here for $300 but i got it on e-bay, brand new with bulbs, a moonlight kit, legs, and two cooling fans for $122

How do you like it, is it decent construction? Have you had any problems with it yet? That's the one I want to buy (waiting on some back pay) but I'm just hesitant as it's about 100 dollars cheaper than all the competition for PC 260 watts (coralife, orbit...)

It is a 48 inch odyssea.
I have read mixed reviews on this light. Some like it others hate it. The biggest trouble seems to be in the company's customer service. If something goes wrong they are of no help (so I have read).

I really like it especially for the price. It seems to be constructed well. I also really like the fact that it has three switches, 1 for the two 12,000k daylight bulbs, 1 for the two actinic bulbs, and 1 for the four moonlights.

Something to keep in mind regarding the filters is if you don't have a sump the canister will provide a place to add media like GAC or some floss every now and then to polish the water. Running GAC is recommended b/c corals, especially soft corals, produce toxins to fend off other corals. In a small environment such as an aquarium these toxins can quickly build up to unhealthy or even lethal levels. Regular PWC's and use of GAC are the best ways to prevent this along w/ skimming.

Back
Top Bottom