need help starting SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjs97

Aquarium Advice Newbie
so heres the deal. ive always admired fish tanks and would like to start a saltwater tank. i have a 72 gallon acrylic tank. it is 38" wide and 28" tall. i know it will be a pain to clean, however i think it will look cool with liverock stacked up that high. the back of the tank is white acrylic. will that look ok once its up and running. if not, maybe i should get a different tank. also should i drill it for overflow. i will have either a sump or refugium under tank. i also need to build a stand and canopy for the tank. i will need to purchase everything other than the tank, so any advice will be considered and appreciated. my main goal is to make this tank as maintence free as possible.

i dont know much about saltwater tanks, however ive been reading alot and trying to learn. wheres a good place to purchase stuff, i dont have any local stores that carry saltwater stuff?

thanks,
matt

I would do a sump and refugium. defiantly drill an overflow, they fail much less then the ones that use a siphon.

The white back would be more up to you if it looks ok, I prefer blue, but it is just preference.

Is this tank made to be an aquarium? Make sure you fill it up with water before you do any thing else to see if it leaks. Be careful cleaning the acrylic it scratches more easily than glass.

I just started saltwater recently as well, so I don't have alot of experience. Hope this helps.

i have it filled in my garage to make sure no leaks. another question is what lights would i need with that deep of tank? the tank is 48" wide, so light should be 48 also or do you want them shorter? also the tank has 3 braces glued at the top for support. will the lights have to have clearence above those pieces or not? will the acrylic get hot and burn if lights are to close?

like i said im learning.

thanks,
matt

I don't no much about acrilic. I'd say the back being white is fine. If it will be anything like mine or anyone else,s I have ever seen. In about a year you'll never see the back glass anyway. Mine has polyps and xenia coral growin on it. Never gets cleaned. Sounds like u have a lot of decisions to make. I have to drive 4 hours to the closet salt water dealer it sucks

planning on having corals, few fish, lr, for sure. still deciding but dont want to be limited by lighting depending on price.

Back
Top Bottom