Need help stocking 150 gallon reef setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neboi2004

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I need help stocking my 150 gallon saltwater reef setup. This is a tentative list of inhabitants I would like in my tank, and can be changed. My main concern is whether or not all of these things will fit in my tank, and whether or not the livestock is compatible. Any reviews and advice is much appreciated.

1 x Longarm Toadstool Coral
2 x Toadstool Coral
1 x Copperbanded Butterflyfish
1 x Flame Angel
2 x Colt Coral
2 x Frogspawn Coral
2 x Metallic Green Open Brain Coral
1 x Fire Goby
1 x Yellow Toadstool Leather Coral
1 x Shortfin Lion
1 x Panther Grouper
1 x Hepatus Tang
1 x Longnose Hawkfish
1 x Orchid Dottyback
1 x Flounder
1 x Foxface Rabbitfish
1 x Zebra Lionfish
1 x Bluechin Trigger (Male)
1 x Awesome Cleanup Crew (ie. crabs, shrimp, starfish, brittles, snails, etc.)

i may be wrong on some of this. i am a rookie but i have a few observations. maybe someone can agree or correct me.

1) it seems like you may be mixing some fish that are typical in a fish only tank with a reef setup. not sure on the size of the the two lion fish and grouper but i would guess they might try to eat the dottyback and goby. and i dont think triggers are reef or invert safe

2) butterfly fish and angels are known to eat corals.

3) something like a colt coral to consider also is the nepthea tree coral. they are good growers like the colt with a similar appearance. this would give you more variety. i think both colt and nepthea grow quick and can be easly fragged to spread around your tank. another coral to consider going with the open brain is a candy cane coral. they look like a mini open brains on the end of hard stalks. they also come in a glowing green

like i said, these are just my thoughts. i might be wrong. hopefully i helped a little bit. enjoy your tank

steve r

The Bluechin Trigger is reefsafe. As far as the Lions, they are dwarfs and won't get much bigger than about 8 inches. The Grouper will get huge, and probably will try to eat the dottyback and goby, but I'm getting a juvenile, it'll be a while before he's massive. As far as the butterfly and angelfish, I've researched them and most sites report them to be reef safe fish. As we all know there are exceptions. Remember, this is a tentative list, all advice is welcome. I want people to recommend livestock, make it your own. This tank is 150 gallons, there are tons of combinations out there. Spare no expense :)

To start, that grouper is going to grow VERY fast. It will not be long until the goby and dottyback are lunch. Might only take 2-3 months. As for the butterfly and angelfish, most will say that butterflies are not reef safe. Angels are more hit or miss, a lot of people have had success with Coral Beauties and Flame Angels.

An issue you will have with the trigger, and the lions, is your cleanup crew. Eventhough the trigger may not nip at corals as much, he will go after all your snails, hermits and shrimp. The lion will do the same to your shrimp. Those types of fish are usually better off in a FOWLR set up.

You do have a great size tank though, and your idea for the tang among others should be great. Your selection of corals looks good, just make sure you have sufficient lighting.

tripper

You will be amazed at how much a dwarf(any lion actually) lion can swallow 8O The Grouper can get 26"+ 8O . I would skip the grouper. :( I think they should have a bit larger tank IMO. :? The trigger will be probably coral safe but not shrimp safe. :) With butterflies and angels it's a 50/50 chance on eating corals or not. The hawkfish will eat your shrimp for sure. Butterflies will eat feathers dusters and othe worms 8O You can keep Bluechins in a small group (1 male & 2 females). With those fish I don't think you will have much of a cleaning crew, dottyback, or goby :( HTH, Wolf

Back
Top Bottom