Need Help With saltwater setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D33pak

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone!!

New to this forum so didn’t know if this is the right place to put this.
I have a 6x2x2 Tropical Fish tank; I want to turn it into a saltwater setup.

Just wanted to know what the cheapest way to do this, I don’t have any holes drilled in to the tank, any way of doing this without geting the holes drilled?

It’s got 2 external filters (Fluval 305).

Been reading on miracle mud, has anyone used this and is it as good as the web site says it is?
rolleyes.gif

Thanks in advance

Cheapest way to get some equipments will be go on graiglist and search.
compare prices at your LFS.

u don't have to drill holes, u can always use an overflow box to direct water to the sump if u r planning to have one as well.

For saltwater, you will need a protein skimmer (some ppl use HOB, but protein skimmer is better, at least thats what I have been told.)
you external filters can work as a powerhead, just don't put any media inside as it will only become a nitrate trap which u don't want.

About miracle mud, usually people use live sand.
miracle mud is used in refugium, don't know much about it, but have read one article said that mud messed up their tank.

get a RO/DI unit, it make your tap water sooo clean that your fishes will love you more XP, and for lighting, depend on what you r planning to have. (update your threadm, so others can help u as u go.)

I m just giving u some really basic stuff, more pro will add on later XP

Thanks Maech55, might give miracle mud a miss then, and gonna look in to the overflow box, thanks again.

Thanks Maech55, might give miracle mud a miss then, and gonna look in to the overflow box, thanks again.

overflow box
here are 2 brands that I know r pretty good.
CPR==$$$$$$$ one that works up to 75gal is about $80
eshopps=$$$ one that works up to 125gal is about $45
I m getting my eshopps today (waiting it to arrive XP)
here is the link for u ^^Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes you can look for return pump in here as well.
you can try your LFS, but the three around me all sell them way more than the internet price.
$110 for CPR, $75 for eshopps OoO

Thanks for the link, i'll hav a look, gonna try some more of my LFS, been to two and no one said anything about a overflow box. gonna have to look on ebay for a overflow box as i'm in the uk.
thanks match55

Thanks for the link, i'll hav a look, gonna try some more of my LFS, been to two and no one said anything about a overflow box. gonna have to look on ebay for a overflow box as i'm in the uk.
thanks match55

good luck to u my friend ^^
let us know if u have more questions

Anyone know whats the best protein skimmer for a 150g tank?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom