Need help working on a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NRB73

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, my name is Rick and I'm with National Reef Builders. We are working on 2 tanks that are 150 gal tanks. One tank will grow parent corals that have a more heat resistant microalgae that will allow it to handle the higher Temps and this will hopefully prevent bleaching. It's the break down of the relationship between the coral and it's microalgae that causes bleaching. The other tank will be growing parent corals that have a microalgae that does well in subtropical zones. We hope to build new reef systems in Northern FL and South Carolina. Our oceans need all the help they can get. What we need is help in setting up these two tanks with the proper lighting and filter systems. Any help is greatly appreciated. If you would like to help just contact me. Thanks for your time guys.

I'm totally new to the aquirium side of this. So learning the proper things I need to do to have a healthy reef is something I could use help with. We have the theory of what we want to achieve and how we plan to achieve it. That doesn't mean there isn't room for us to learn there as well. Physical help isn't an issue, but if a person lives close and wants to he involved then we would welcome them by all means. We are just trying to find ways to help our reef systems and any suggestions, theories, or Physical help is welcomed. Our oceans need us all to chip in. There in worse shape then most realize. We love vacations to the ocean each year and I devoted time and money to help. The aquirium side of this is a learning curve to say the least.

We are located in Fulton KY. We are in the process of setting up the tanks. We plan to have two 150 gals. We also have a 75 and a 24 gal as a hospital tank.

Great to hear you are getting the good information needed to keep tanks properly.

This would be the first step, learning about setting up the tank and getting the beneficial bacteria necessary for processing ammonia in the tanks.

The getting started article link in my signature is a great way to learn the basics, for FW or SW.

At the top of the page is the green header to the right of the aquarium Advice name, at least on my computer, may be different in the app.

Click on the articles and there is a variety of different things you can read up on.

And then ask specific questions in the forums which may be most specific to your interest / needs.

One blanket question of what to do is much more difficult to answer meaningfully. And may not address your needs.

It is wonderful to hear. You may also check out some other research about warmer water corals. There have been a couple articles I have seen in the last few years.

Hey guys, my name is Rick and I'm with National Reef Builders. We are working on 2 tanks that are 150 gal tanks. One tank will grow parent corals that have a more heat resistant microalgae that will allow it to handle the higher Temps and this will hopefully prevent bleaching. It's the break down of the relationship between the coral and it's microalgae that causes bleaching. The other tank will be growing parent corals that have a microalgae that does well in subtropical zones. We hope to build new reef systems in Northern FL and South Carolina. Our oceans need all the help they can get. What we need is help in setting up these two tanks with the proper lighting and filter systems. Any help is greatly appreciated. If you would like to help just contact me. Thanks for your time guys.

Out of curiosity, does this have any relationship to what they are trying to accomplish on the GBR? I read an article the other day that pertained to a hopeful coral spawning event in corals native to warmer water that were relocated to cooler parts of the GBR to examine potential long term sustainability if the event was successful. Very interesting human intervention to potentially preserve the future of the reef.

Yes and no, we did indeed learn a lot from the WWF, that being said, we have used what we learned from them and took it a step further. They took the microalgae and over 4 years they raised the temp every so slowly. We are trying to shorten that and we are finding ways to make the heat resistant microalgae we have the most prevalent microalgae on a reef system. We found a different microalgae that can handle the Temps but we aren't sure what it's affects with be on different types of corals, and we aren't sure they will bond naturally on their own. That's part of out study. More to it then just that but I'd be here all day writing a book on it lol. Microalgae alone is an adventure to learn about. Much less adding coral to the mix. It's amazing how much you can learn each day about an entire universe that we cannot see with the naked eye. Still amazes me.

Excuse my typos. My phone replaces words and I'm also going too fast. My apologies. But I'm sure you can see what I meant to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom