Need opinion w/new set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilraen

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello, I am new to this site which by the way, it looks awesome.
Ok, here's what I have: a 55 gal, with an ecosystem sump (which the company says you don't need a protein skimmer) and since I can't afford any MH lights, I just ordered a Current USA 48" Satellite Fixture 4 x 65 watt power compacts with 1 lunar moonlight and built in fan. So honestly, how good or bad is this? Should I add anything to this set up?, so far I just have the salt H2O running and about 42lbs. of live rock. ANY suggestions will be greatly appreciated and thank you so much in advance!

What are you planing on putting in it, fish or corals. I'm no expert but this will be the first thing to decide.

What are you planing on putting in it, fish or corals. I'm no expert but this will be the first thing to decide.

First, you need to let the tank cycle completely. Then, since you are using the Ecosystem filter, I'd add some inverts...snails, hermits, maybe an emerald crab, ect... Then I'd start with a few hardy corals such as zooanthids, yellow polyps, maybe a green finger leather or a colt. Mushrooms would probably do well too. If you are patient enough to let the system go like this for a while, 6 weeks or so, until the Ecosystem filter matures before you add fish, I think you'll have a fairly stable system. You should be able to keep all the the most demanding soft corals and you should be OK with some of the LPS corals...frogspawn, hammer, bubble, ect... SPS, clams, and anemones are not an option with the lighting you have. Also, be aware that Ecosystem recommends using a skimmer with SPS corals. If you upgrade your lighting to MH later, you'll want to add a skimmer before buying any SPS. Ecosystem also recommends using some sort of phosphate media to control phosphate levels although you may not really need it. I'd probably go with a Phosban reactor if I were going to use anything at all. JMHO.

defenatly wait untill the system cycles with the live rock. depending on the rout you wanted to take you could put fish in right then, if you wanted to do fish only with live rock. just make shure that what ever you put in there is compatable with everything else and that you introduce them slowly.

Back
Top Bottom