Need Refugium/Sump for 75 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwolf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!

I have an up and running 75 gallon FOWLR hoping for corals eventually.

Well I have a nitrate problem and have read about sumps/refugiums...pretty confused at this point...Are there any places online I can buy the whole thing? I've seen buying a refugium and putting a sump in it, something about wet/dry...diy...I'm lost.

I don't want to DIY without some detailed instructions, can't drill since tank is already going...I'm just confused about the products and need a shopping list, lol! Couldn't find any good detailed threads...

Sent from my BNTV400 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can buy pre-made sumps, yes. They're expensive. Or, you can get a 40 breeder for cheap, get glass cut and make your own for < $60. (not counting the cost of pumps, skimmers, return pump, etc) There are lots of how-tos here and on YouTube on sump design and construction.
WRT drilling, you would need a HOB overflow.

That's not a sump, that's a hang-on fuge/maybe skimmer (if you're looking at the PS model). Good I suppose if you don't want to drill.

CPR AquaFuge 2 Hang-on Refugium has the "Pro", which is sump/fuge. You could use an Eshopps overflow for this if you don't want to drill your tank.

If you're leery on building one, check the designs here (and elsewhere like Reefcentral, etc), get glass cut at a Home Depot, and your LFS might do the panel insertion/sealing for you.

You don't really have to do anything special at all for a sump if you don't want. For my 20g reef I just have an unmodified 10g tank underneath with all of my equipment, macro algae, and necessary pumps. Doing it this way however does keep you from easily running a skimmer. It's not a difficult thing to do at all.

Yes, if all you are looking for is a fuge to grow macro and not run a skimmer, a 20/30 would be more than enough, and would need zero mods.

I have a 10 that I was going to use for my 20, but my wife is riding my butt to get a bigger tank, so I guess I'm going to move that way. Oh shucks ;-)

Do you have a skimmer? A oversized skimmer will be a big help. I think people put too much faith in algae.

Do you have a skimmer? A oversized skimmer will be a big help. I think people put too much faith in algae.

Would you suggest a 2 chamber design (big skimmer and return section separated by baffles) vs a 3 chamber that includes macro?

Mr. X, I have a coralife 65 protein skimmer that came with the tank. I'm hoping to get a bigger skimmer to put in sump and get rid of this one.
Dmolavi, I'm a blonde and can't seem to find a good easy thread on here about building a sump/refugium...could you point me in the right direction. I just want to do it right the first time! Would be nice to have directions like: you'll need a 20 gallon breeder tank, a 12" x 10" and 12" x 8" pieces of glass, aquarium silicone, eheim 500gph ph, 4' 1/2" tubeing etc, etc... lol!

I do hope to put the skimmer in the sump.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Those SS65's are junk IMO. I wouldn't run one of them on a 30 gallon.
I would definitely invest in a much better skimmer.
If you are considering adding a sump fed by a HOB overflow (I saw that you couldn't drill the tank, so this is the only way besides HOB equipment) You must first decide where you are putting this sump.
If it's inside the stand, a 20 long is probably the largest tank you'll be able to fit. Buy the 20 long, and take it to a glass shop and tell them to make 3 partitions for it, and they only need to sand one edge (the other 3 will be glued in and will not be a hazard).
All three pieces are to be the same size, and you probably want them to be about 8"-10" tall. You will figure out the optimal height when choosing your skimmer and finding out it's water depth requirement.
Measure the inside of the tank and if you can fit it (inside dimension would have to be more than 11.42") , I would get this skimmer-
Bubble Magus BM 220A Protein Skimmer Brand New | eBay

If you cannot, then I would get this one-
Bubble Magus BM 180A Protein Skimmer Brand New | eBay

Of course you would need some aquarium silicone. First section will be intake- skimmer and maybe room for a filter sock.
Second section would be a refugium, and the last section would be where your return pump will go.
The last section must be large enough to fit your return pump. A mag 7, 9.5 or Eheim 1262 should be fine pumps for a 75 gallon tank. You will have to get an overflow rated for a little less than the pump you choose, or vice versa.

I agree with doug... sounds rough but its actually really simple and will save you a ton of money. he listed a couple good skimmers but if you can get the bigger one

It's a shame you're not in the Jersey/PA area...I'd lend you a hand with making a sump, since I'll be making one for myself anyway pretty soon...

As long as you follow the "measure twice, cut once" adage, you should have glass that fits perfectly in your sump and just run a clean bead of silicone (aquarium safe) to seal it in. Melevsreef.com - DIY Glass Sump & Refugium has a 20 long that was converted. You might be able to email Marc for the dimensions of the baffles that were used.

If you aren't comfortable doing it yourself, check with your LFS to see if they can lend an assist, or look to see if there is a local club who has a member that might be able to help you out.

I agree with everyone. I too was scared to make my first sump, bought one of the aqueon ones and was totally unhappy with how it was all laid out. Once I upgraded, grabbed a 20 long from a Petco dollar a gallon sale and went to town. Lowes will cut the glass to size for you, making it even easier! All I did was get the tank, pre-cut glass, silicone, and some old magazines. Used the magazines and tape to hold the one divider up for the bubble trap and waited for it to dry. Next day, took them out and put the rest of the dividers in. Is really easy. Making your own sump and PVC plumbing are the 2 most common things people see as too hard when new to the hobby, once you get your feet wet you can do it a million times over. Try it, we're here to help if you need anything. :)

Just made one for my new rimless build. A 55gallon with 3 compartments. Had to replace the side pane with untempered glass because I'm running an external pump and have to drill it.

It's super easy . Made a 180 g sump for my 800g tank too. As long as you get your measurements right And leave a little less than a 16th to fit the glass partitions in, pretty straight forward.

Good thread !! Question when u make the dividers are u to use 2 pieces of glass say 1/2 apart?? That's what I get from pics posted.

Maybe I'm just the lazy type, I certainly am not a do it yourself kinda gal, but I have two sumps running with NO baffles. lol

No refugiums, but I dont really put that much stock into the macro idea, just my opinion and experince, but to get a real benefit from one I think it has to be very very large. Not practical in my mind for a smaller tank, I;m thinking its a good thing when you have a 55g sump and have a good amount of room for it.
But back to the sump, I know you are supposed to have baffles to avoid micro bubbles from the skimmer but I have not had any issue on either tank. I use eshopps protein skimmers btw. The baffles can also keep the water level in the sump level, but I have an automatic top off setup on the sumps and that keeps the levels straight and on target.
Just my two cents lol

Yes, if you don't use partitions of any kind, the water level in the return area will fluctuate (unless you use an auto top-off like Carey mentioned), the algae will probably make it's way to the return pump and clog it or end up in pieces in the DT, and you may see microbubbles in the display.

Like hank said earlier, sumps are a little intimidating at first trying to grasp and understand bubble traps,return pumps etc,.... Once you kind of figure out the concept it's pretty straight forward and easily designed and setup ,.but ,there's a lot of pre made sumps out there that are excellent , maybe you may choose this route for your current setup eliminating the doubt about building your own,...when I bought my current acrylic tank I also decided to purchase a acrylic sump also which matched up beautifully for the setup I had in mind, ( that's when I had a few extra bucks on hand ! ).. If i ever needed another sump i would prob surely build my own,... The downside to buying a premade sump is that they are usually rather pricey and you can not easily modify them to your current situation ,. Like I want to use this bubble magus skimmer but the first section isn't big enough etc.
Either way it's a nice place to hide all the skimmer,heaters etc ,... Good luck which ever way you go !!!

Back
Top Bottom