Need some advice in re-starting my 36g bow tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niners4Life

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Want to get back in the hobby and just need some basic advice. I've had tanks over the years with fresh and salt water but my son really wants his Nemo so guess what we're doing? First off I've used power filters in the past but now I'm thinking about switching over to a canister filter. I'm looking at a Fluval 206 up to 45g or Fluval 306 up to 70g. Which would you recommend? I stopped off at a new fish store today and he recommended that I go with the smaller canister because he said that going with the bigger canister filter wouldn't be as beneficial as the smaller one in maintaining the biological growth of the tank. Is this true? Would I need a secondary filtration system like a HOB protein skimmer or another power filter to to keep the water quality up to par?

Secondly, what type of wattage and lighting (LED or T5) would you recommend for a tank that will have live sand, live rocks, fish, easy corals like polyps, xenias, zoanthids, and maybe a bubble tip or haitian anemone.

Thanks for any advice and I'm looking forward to posting pictures of my tank once it's established!

Soft corals only I would go led every day of the week. Much cheaper and looks good to.

As for the filters I would like to know the gallons per hour. Assuming they both move enough water to properly filter the tank, why not add some valves to the return lines and use them both. Use the valves to dial them back some so you don't have any crazy currents and you could create a nice water flow.

Having all the extra media will make a little extra Nitrates but of your doing your weekly water changes you will be fine.

Brad McLaughlin
Tampa Bay Area

Want to get back in the hobby and just need some basic advice. I've had tanks over the years with fresh and salt water but my son really wants his Nemo so guess what we're doing? First off I've used power filters in the past but now I'm thinking about switching over to a canister filter. I'm looking at a Fluval 206 up to 45g or Fluval 306 up to 70g. Which would you recommend? I stopped off at a new fish store today and he recommended that I go with the smaller canister because he said that going with the bigger canister filter wouldn't be as beneficial as the smaller one in maintaining the biological growth of the tank. Is this true? Would I need a secondary filtration system like a HOB protein skimmer or another power filter to to keep the water quality up to par?

Secondly, what type of wattage and lighting (LED or T5) would you recommend for a tank that will have live sand, live rocks, fish, easy corals like polyps, xenias, zoanthids, and maybe a bubble tip or haitian anemone.

Thanks for any advice and I'm looking forward to posting pictures of my tank once it's established!

First as long as you have good circulation in the tank VIA power heads
a filter really isn't needed as the rocks act like a natural filter, just a basic water change weekly , if you plan on any type of corals you will need a skimmer , I would say get one anyhow because it will remove the proteins
that cause that algae , If you are planing on a fish only tank a stock light fixture is fine , if going with coral I would suggest a good reef capable light fixture avoid those marinland reef capable leds as they are just a waist of money
just google tao tronics and you will find a decent selection of reef capable leds, that is all I use and you can't get any better cheap but reliable

Welcome to AA if your not sure ask , Our goal is success , the trick is go slow ask questions lots of them , keep going in that slow mode and watch that success start growing in your tank , the main reason for slow mode is this is a relaxing hobby so you should enjoy it .
Can't wait to see your creation ,

Back
Top Bottom