Need some help starting!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reisy00

Aquarium Advice Regular
If I am going to use live sand and live rock do I have to get my water cycled first and up to temp? Or do I just put in my live sand and live rock then add my water and get everything running. I feel if my water is not cycled and up to temp the good bacteria I paided for well die off?:thanks:

No you don;t need to cycle before adding the LR. You;ll want another ammonia source b/c the LR might not be enough, or it will lengthen the cycle if you don't. You can just get a shrimp at your grocery store and put it in a net or stocking. There will be some die off from the LR, but a lot will survive so don't worry about that! Good LR has all types of organisms that will populate your tank and add to your ecosystem. Good luck :)

You'll want your rock on the tank for the cycle. Don't need to cycle first. Just make sure when you put the rock in tank, that its actually salty. don't wanna put the rock into RO water. Have fun with your new tank!!

Should I mix the salt out of the tank then add or mix it in the tank and turn the powerheads on to help.

reisy00 said:
Should I mix the salt out of the tank then add or mix it in the tank and turn the powerheads on to help.

If the tank is empty right now, you can do it either way.

reisy00 said:
So the tank has to be empty if I am going to do it that way? wont it make the tank really cloudy if I add the sand after the water?

I meant empty as in no living things in the tank. Yes, the tank will be cloudy for a couple of days, unless you're willing to scoop the sand in cupful by cupful and place the cup all the way to the bottom with each cup, there's really no way around the tank being cloudy. It'll clear up in 2-3 days.

reisy00 said:
thanks beengirl! Should my heater be on during cycle?

NP!! Yes, in fact I've heard that turning the temp up into mid 80's will help the bacteria grow faster. Just don't forget to let tank cool back down to 78 before you add fish!! I did this, although cant say for certain that it helped. :) I do know that bacteria like warmth, though. Also, the salt will dissolve better in warm water.

Does anyone have or had a CPR refugium? Just wondering how high it sticks off the top of the tank?

Back
Top Bottom