need some opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phil18

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey I'm new to this site and was doing some research, but i have a few questions. I have a 30 gallon tank and i plan on putting a few smaller saltwater fish in and maybe a small amount of live rock. Ii haven't started with anything yet, but for now I have a eheim canister filter waiting for me and I'm trying to decide what other one I should use. Maybe a Bio Wheel? I don't plan on doing corals anytime in the near future either. I also have one more question about lighting, I've been looking at the brand "Current" and i like that style lighting but whats the cheapest type of light that sits up like that but isn't garbage? I don't make much money haha, but I also want to set my tank up right.

Sorry for being a newbie haha, but from what I've read so far I'm pretty sure you guys will set me in the right direction.

Well would I be able to get the job done with a biowheel and the eheim?

Forget the Biowheel. Instead, pick yourself up 2 powerheads and you'll be fine. I like a tank with lots of liverock, and more rock = more biological filtration, which is a good thing. I'd go with as much liverock as you can afford to do. 2 powerheads for some water flow and the canister would be a good place to start for filtration.

As for lighting, Current is a great brand, so is Coralife.

http://www.hellolights.com/362xcoraqpch.html

Oh, and welcome to AA :)

So you think I should stick with the eheim and go with 2 powerheads instead of a skimmer? What about UV sterilizers? Do I need it since its such a small tank?

I'd save your money for now on the UV. That hellolights link that Devilishturtles sent is a good bet for light. You can use it for a while and add more later as you become more complex in your tank.

Liverock and if you want a skimmer. But unless you plan on having triggers and some serious body waste you should be good to go.

Please cycle naturally and not kill any fish.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby. :)

I agree. UV sterilizers aren't really needed, but an added bonus. I plan on getting one eventually, but it's not a priority right now.

I think if you want a Fish Only tank right now, then a skimmer isn't really needed (although, reccomended). If you have plans on adding corals and making the tank a reef tank, I would get a skimmer now. If you weren't already getting the canister filter, I'd say ditch that too and just get some powerheads for flow and a skimmer. There are many options, and none is really THE way, it's kinda a matter of preference. The idea with reef tanks is trying to keep nitrates low. Canister filters will require monthly cleaning if you choose to use it, so be warned. But there are a lot of filtration options with a canister too.

HTH

I agree with the rest. I would skip the filter and add more rock. You can save lots of money on rock, if you do a combo of a little cured LR and Base Rock http://marcorocks.com/. I would get 25Lbs of base and the rest in LR.
If it makes you more comfy, I use a filter on my 55G, but only have a little media in it. I had to take out the sponges because they were nitrAte factories. I keep it only for extra water movement and GAC (which I haven't used in months), if needed.

UV`s are good to have IMO but as the others stated it is not a must have right now in your quest to get your tank going.

Back
Top Bottom