Need to cool down my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilshire

Aquarium Advice Newbie
It's only April, it's too hot in Cyprus and the temperature in my tanks (especialy the 5g) is reaching 30C (86F). I've already switched off the heaters. Any ideas on how to keep the temperature in proper levels especialy in the summer when the temperature here is abour 40C !

I ran into the same situation but I couldn't afford to buy a chiller.... So, I bought a cooling fan on ebay

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZaqua_eworldQQhtZ-1

It has improved air circulation tremendously!!! Even though i have a canope, the air flow from the fan drives out the hot air accumulated inside and you can tilt the fan so that the air flow is directed at the water surface. The little clips on the fan snaps onto the aquarium wall very easily. It dropped the temperature of my tank in hours and saved me $350!!! (and energy efficient, too!)

good luck!

What kind of hoods are you using? Can you prop them up? I agree with tjw, I have read others have had great success with fans. If you have lights that are putting out a lot of heat, maybe adjust the lighting cycle (slowly) to have them on later or less when it's at the hottest. I'm sure others can give their experiences as well.

computer fans mounted in the hood to circulate the air helps coolong. some surplus electronic stores sell them for $10 ea.

what type of external ciculation pump? i have also used a fan directly on some pumps to reduce heat transfer to the water. HTH.

i have also used a fan directly on some pumps to reduce heat transfer to the water. HTH.

Excellent point there! My eclipse 2 hood light plug gives off a lot of heat...don't know how safe that is....
Also, is the tank in a small room or enclosure that won't allow heat to dissipate? I had a 20G in an enclosure meant for a 27in TV, and heat from couldn't dissipate easily.

i got a 7" personal clip-on fan from walmart.....right around $8.....it does the job & then some

you shouldn't have to shut off your heater. If it's set for 80 and the tank is over that, it won't be adding any heat to the tank. you should aim for a stable temperature, so if the fan everyone is recommending gets you down to 82 in the day, then set your heater for 81 or so, so you won't get much fluctuation at night. you don't want to go from 78 to 82 and back every day.

For those of you using fans I just want to mention two things.

If you are using it to cool an enclosed lighting hood, it is better to have the fan blow air out of the hood than into the hood. Blowing into a lighting hood can cause "cool spots" on the bulbs and shorten the bulb life.

If you are blowing across the water surface to cool the tank, this cooling happens because it is increasing the evaporation rate of the water in the tank. There is nothing wrong with this, just be sure you are making extra top off water to compensate for the extra evaporation.

If your cooling needs are "occasional" there are a few DIY cooling options that are quite easy to build and inexpensive. They are discussed in our DIY forum. Search there for Chiller and you should be able to find them.

Back
Top Bottom