New 10 Gallon Nano Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoy Dent

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys bran new to the forms. I've been looking all over the Internet for answers to some of my questions and I keep ending up here so I've decided just to make a profile. :)
Right now I am in the process of planing a 10 gallon reef tank (my first one) and I am in need of some answers. :ermm:

1. I already know that I'm getting two clownfish for it, I know that a lot of people say they need a 20 gallon, but just as many say they can and have had them in a 10. My question is would a snowflake and a perculas Clownfish get along if I got diffrent sizes and put them in the tank at the same time?

2. I have a hood with two 15 watt bulbs and can take up to 25 watt bulbs, is this enough for Corals or am I going to need something else?

3. I have a 10 gl filter that came with the tank and I have an air pump with a small air stone, is this enough water circulation or do I need a powerhead?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I've been wanting a small tank with Clownfish for quite some time and just recently decided to get Corals as well. :thanks:

Welcome to the forums!!

For your first question. Yes per upas and snowflakes can be together. Btw do you know how much snowflakes cost?$$$$$$$

2. You will need a new lighting system. Check out the reef breeder nano light or ask about 10gal_nano's par 38 bulb.

3. You should get another power head. Korelias are good and cheap.

Could you tell me more about your current filter?

Welcome! :).

1. On clowns in a 10. I used to have a pair in a 10 for about 5 months and I'll never do it again. They're much happier in their 20 now. Can it be done, yeah. Just be aware those will be your only 2 fish and perch las get to big IMO. Stick to ocellaris with the snowflake.
2. A par38 from reefkoi or coral compulsion should work. The lights you have now aren't enough for much.
3. Don't run an airstone in a sw tank. It will lead to really bad salt creep.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thanks guys, I wasn't expecting such quick replies.
Yeah I know, the snowflake at my lfs is $100, that's why I'm probably not getting 2. I guess I'll have to look into the lighting a little more, Do you have any links as to where I can get one pretty cheap?
For the powerhead, would a Hydor Koralia Nano 240 work?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

240 is perfect. I would spend the $100 you are planning for the clown on a par38 from reef koi. I love mine. I also would not have 2 clowns. Sorry. I think a 10 gal is good for 1 but not 2.

10 gallon nano reef

The snowflake is actually going to be a present so I wouldn't have the money anyway. Is there possibly one that's a little cheaper or even one that could clip on under my hood?

The light I mean

Well I haven't quite decided yet but I was thinking a torch or hammer for the clownfish, I like the look of red cap then maybe Zoanthids and Green star polyps? I'm still pretty open for suggestions on corals

Looks like those LEDs are being run at 1-1.5 watts, I'd look for one running them at 2 or more

Ok I guess I'll ether keep looking or just wait till I save up a little more. Thank you guys for your help :)

Yay! Finally got the stuff to set up my tank. Here is yesterday and today. Got some LR today but unfortunately has an aiptasia on it :( I guess it was going to happen sooner or later.

Attachments

• 1406774971621.jpg
    1406774971621.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 111
  • 1406774992863.jpg
    1406774992863.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 1406775014745.jpg
    1406775014745.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 95
Back
Top Bottom