New 150 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have all those already but calcium, and magnesium so that won't cost much, anything else you can think of I would need for corals, and can you add them anytime or do u add slow like fish? Its going to take a while to use the instant ocean I already have, then how long should I start using the reef salt before adding corals?

Jsmith79 said:
I have all those already but calcium, and magnesium so that won't cost much, anything else you can think of I would need for corals, and can you add them anytime or do u add slow like fish? Its going to take a while to use the instant ocean I already have, then how long should I start using the reef salt before adding corals?

Just acclimate to temp... 15-20 min, place in tank. Go ahead and add corals now and on your next pwc, use the reef salt.

My coral banded shrimp molted, and his shell is way under the live rock, will it hurt anything to leave it in there or do I need to dig it out?

I've left and removed molts, depending on size and where it's located. If you have to break down a tank to get to it I just pass. lol The system should be able to handle it.

Thanks it's in a rough spot, does anyone clean their filter sock by soaking them in 10 parts water to 1 part bleach then rinsing and soaking in Rodi water before use, that's what the instructions say, but it makes me nervous using bleach, in the past I've just used water and then soaked in Rodi and let dry before use, but it's a pain to get them clean with plain water.

I clean my filter socks by using a high powered nozzle on my garden hose. Gets them really clean but you get wet doing it. lol

i also have put them in my washer, no detergent or bleach and it works as well. I am also antsy about using bleach with my tank. just worries me more than I am already. lol

I clean mine when the water starts to overflow the sock. so like every 3-4 days.

I use felt socks but just recently tried a mesh one. It hasn't clogged one bit in the almost week that I've been using it and doesnt look like it will need to be changed out for quite some time. BUT I am not confident it is getting all the small particles of junk. The jury is still out on the mesh socks. lol

Thanks, cleaning these filter sock is the worst part of my maint routine, I think I'll try your washing machine idea, right now they are soaking in bleach water(spare set) it has them looking brand new, but I'm scared to use them, has anyone ever cleaned them with diluted bleach? If not I may throw them away! Not worth risking my fish buddies!

You can also soak them in prime, that is supposed to remove bleach and chloramines I THINK. I believe dary on the forum uses bleach and soaks them in prime afterwards.

I hate that I can't get them brand new looking but if washed thoroughly it's enough for me. lol That hose nozzle I have is like a pressure washer, you might look into one at home depot. Really gets the crud out of the felt socks.

Yeah it says on the bottle of prime, it removes chlorine, chloramine, and ammonia, I mixed up a double dose, and have them soaking in it. We will see if I'm brave enough to put them back in after soaking, rinsing, and drying. Thanks for all your input.

You'll get a mixed response as far as UV goes. Alot of people swear by them but a lot also say they aren't needed. lol

I personally dont use one and have no opinion either way.

In a new tank theres gonna be algae blooms and diatoms as well, they tend to fade on their own.

Thanks maybe I'll just wait and see if it clears up on it's own, supposed to add new fish this weekend, think it will be ok still?

Back
Top Bottom