New

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nemo72

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank as been set up now for 2 weeks it as live rock in and all the sand as gone brown and starting to get alge on my glass I have done test today and my nitrite is 0 nitrate is 0 ammonia is 0.025. Ph is 8.2 and salinity is 0.025 can you tell me if my cycle as finished or not and what I got to do next many thanks

No haven't had any readings for nitrate or nitrite

If you havent seen any nitrates then you arent cycled. Based on your results you are in the beginning of the cycle too.

Do you have any livestock in there?

No sorry you have not cycled yet are u using any ammonia source apart from your rock ie like a piece of shrimp the ammonia will turn to nitrite then nitrate when this has happened and your levels are back to 0 for ammonia and nitrite you will be ready 

No haven't used anything shall I put in a dead shrimp

If It's from the store and uncooked yes. :-D

You dont have any fish in there do you? Or anything else alive?

I have a crab in their that come in the rock and some worms in rock thanks

how come everyone is at the conclusion that she isn't cycled? The 0 nitrate can be explained by the algae bloom she's having.

Can you provide us with more information like:

Tank size?
Did you use tap or ro/di water?
How long was the LR out of water?
How long are your lights on?
Is the tank by a window?
Did you ever saw a higher level of ammonia?

I'm not saying anyone is wrong, its just that my tank cycled in 2 weeks so I never rule out that possibility without being sure. :)

My tank size is 90L And I used ro water my lights are on 10 hours a day live rock was only out of water half hour no my tank is not near a window haven't seen any higher readings has I didn't do any test for a least a week many thank all for trying to help

I've had anywhere from a few days to cycle and no cycle using LR. :)

I would just be concerned about the lack of nitrates, they tested 0 right? Did you shake the heck outta the testing bottle solution? Sometimes that will do the trick

Ya my rock was cured and I did shake the bottle before I done the test

Well at the expense of the crab you can dose say 1ppm of ammonia and see if it disappears overnight, if it does youre cycled in my opinion.

I wonder where the ammonia reading is coming from that youre getting though. maybe there is still a small amount of die off from the rock? I would have thought she'd have passed the ammonia spike by now.

API doesn't print the manufacture date on their chemicals. Every now and then you will get a bad batch unfortunately. I would have the LFS check your water to either confirm or deny the cause.

Back
Top Bottom