new 29 gal sw tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zspicer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started my sw tank 2 days ago my salinity is 1.022 I have a 40 gallon filter and argonite live sand with 10lbs of live rock what else should I get to help the cycle?

I just bought 5 more lbs of live then 1y5 lbs of base rock and I bought 2 blue legg hermits and 2 snails

zspicer said:
I just bought 5 more lbs of live then 1y5 lbs of base rock and I bought 2 blue legg hermits and 2 snails

You just stared the tank two day ago, I would not add the hermits and snail, most likely you'll lose them.

Yeah I found that out after I got them but they seem to be doing fine

Yeah I'm not adding anything else for awhile....what other supplies should I get?

Took me 3-1/2 weeks in my 45 with lots of good live rock and sand. Was just able to add two clowns, 10 crab and 5 snails. I have been told that is pushing it but I plan on watching it close. So far all are doing great.

Do you mean fishless cycle not 'flawless'?! Although flawless is what we all strive for! everyones tank cycles differently, mine has cycled extremely fast but I have a lot of LR, LR rubble in my filter too plus RO premixed water and I think a lot of luck comes into it but patience is key plus research!

For some reason my hydrometer is giving different readings

zspicer said:
For some reason my hydrometer is giving different readings

Tap it a little bit, may have air bubbles in it..

Have you left the needle In saltwater for 24 hours?! It needs to be seasoned to give accurate readings xxx

Seasoned? That's a new one on me. Yeah tap it for bubbles. Take it to your LFS to check it against their water for accuracy.

Verify the accuracy of your hydrometer by following the instructions on your salt mix container.If it is off you can allow for it when reading it in the future.

Seasoned? I forgot to rinse it out after I used it so maybe there's salt in it?

When I mean seasoned I mean if it is a new hydrometer, ideally it should be left for 24hrs with saltwater in it to give you a more accurate reading when you come to use it

Oooo so should I do that now? Just fill it with sw and let it sit?

Back
Top Bottom