New 29G saltwater BioCube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katy410

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, all!
After a long discussion in my latest post, and talking with family, I am now getting a Coralife 29G Biocube. I find that it seems rather sleek, with easy maintenance. Here's the link: http://www.coralifeproducts.com/product/aquariums-tanks/
If you'd like to compliment on it, feel free.
So, now i need opinions on stocking, corals, for my reef, and a cleanup-crew. I was hoping to stock around 25G worth of fish, using the 1-inch-per-gallon-rule, saving 4 gallons for corals, filters, and swimming space. Here is my current plan for stocking, fish-wise:
2 Ocellaris Clownfish(or percula, what's the difference?)
One or two Neon Damselfish
A Pajamma(Spotted)Cardinal

This should leave my with around 5-10 gallons left to stock, I don't remember the exact numbers.

So what's a good cleanup-crew? Also, will all of those fish get along, I haven't researched them much yet, accept clowns. Trust me, if I can get a good stocking list, I'll research everything down to the last shrimp. What are some good corals? I'm planning on live rock/sand for this. And can I use Nutrafin Ready Cycle products on store-bought saltwater? Lastly, if I were to get something big later on,(I'm making sure that I can maintain everything for a while first, before really investing)such as a unit built into the wall, how would I maintain all of that?

By the way, I chose the neon damsels and clowns to get a bit of a mini-nemo type scape. Although the Ocellaris clowns should grow larger then the neon damsels, they still seem to look quite a bit like miniature blue tangs!

Now, as I found that listing all my questions in one spot makes it easier for answering and reference, here you go:

1.How are Coralife Biocubes?

2.Could I stock around 25 gallons worth of fish?

3.Can I keep fish that need 30 gallon, minimal, in a 29?(This seems pretty self-explanatory; I'm just being cautious.)

4.Would my stocking list, so far, get along?

5.What is a good cleanup crew?

6.What are some good corals?

8.Can I use a ready-cycle product with saltwater, that is store-bought?

9.Do larger aquariums require a lot more maintenance?

P.S. I probably missed a few questions/added some, so just answer as much as possible ;D

~Katy

Hi, all!
After a long discussion in my latest post, and talking with family, I am now getting a Coralife 29G Biocube. I find that it seems rather sleek, with easy maintenance. Here's the link: http://www.coralifeproducts.com/product/aquariums-tanks/
If you'd like to compliment on it, feel free.
So, now i need opinions on stocking, corals, for my reef, and a cleanup-crew. I was hoping to stock around 25G worth of fish, using the 1-inch-per-gallon-rule, saving 4 gallons for corals, filters, and swimming space. Here is my current plan for stocking, fish-wise:

This should leave my with around 5-10 gallons left to stock, I don't remember the exact numbers.

So what's a good cleanup-crew? Also, will all of those fish get along, I haven't researched them much yet, accept clowns. Trust me, if I can get a good stocking list, I'll research everything down to the last shrimp. What are some good corals? I'm planning on live rock/sand for this. And can I use Nutrafin Ready Cycle products on store-bought saltwater? Lastly, if I were to get something big later on,(I'm making sure that I can maintain everything for a while first, before really investing)such as a unit built into the wall, how would I maintain all of that?

By the way, I chose the neon damsels and clowns to get a bit of a mini-nemo type scape. Although the Ocellaris clowns should grow larger then the neon damsels, they still seem to look quite a bit like miniature blue tangs!

Now, as I found that listing all my questions in one spot makes it easier for answering and reference, here you go:

1.How are Coralife Biocubes?

2.Could I stock around 25 gallons worth of fish?

3.Can I keep fish that need 30 gallon, minimal, in a 29?(This seems pretty self-explanatory; I'm just being cautious.)

4.Would my stocking list, so far, get along?

5.What is a good cleanup crew?

6.What are some good corals?

8.Can I use a ready-cycle product with saltwater, that is store-bought?

9.Do larger aquariums require a lot more maintenance?

P.S. I probably missed a few questions/added some, so just answer as much as possible ;D

~Katy

Hey Katy
1. I like the biocubes as an all in one system and they do look nice. I'd recommend switch the bio filtration out for live rock rubble though.
2. In a tank that size you could do 4-5 small fish IMO. Inch per gallon really has no merit in sw as fish inhabit different areas and can be quite territorial.
3. Yes you can.
4. I'd skip the damsels much more trouble than their worth. Maybe get a blenny or goby instead, so much more personality. Cardinals aren't really attractive IMO and do better in trips so maybe replace him to with a royal gramma or six line wrasse. Make sure to add the 6 line last if you do ever decide on one. The clowns are fine I like ocellaris better than percula.
5. Snails! Crabs are awful little animals that steal coral food and cause mayhem. I hate my hermit an emerald crab.
6.is this the biocube hqi or regular? If the hqi then you could really do most corals. If just the regular I'd stick to zoas, mushrooms, leather corals, Kenya tree, soft corals and then add some lps like hammers, brains, Duncan's, etc down the line.
7. No cycle it the old fashion way with a raw shrimp. The bottled bacteria is not really effective IMO.
8. Yes but I have a 20 gallon nano and it isn't to bad. Just keep up on evaporation, water changes and only use RO/DI water.

Hope this helps and just ask away if you have any other questions.

Hey Katy 1. I like the biocubes as an all in one system and they do look nice. I'd recommend switch the bio filtration out for live rock rubble though. 2. In a tank that size you could do 4-5 small fish IMO. Inch per gallon really has no merit in sw as fish inhabit different areas and can be quite territorial. 3. Yes you can. 4. I'd skip the damsels much more trouble than their worth. Maybe get a blenny or goby instead, so much more personality. Cardinals aren't really attractive IMO and do better in trips so maybe replace him to with a royal gramma or six line wrasse. Make sure to add the 6 line last if you do ever decide on one. The clowns are fine I like ocellaris better than percula. 5. Snails! Crabs are awful little animals that steal coral food and cause mayhem. I hate my hermit an emerald crab. 6.is this the biocube hqi or regular? If the hqi then you could really do most corals. If just the regular I'd stick to zoas, mushrooms, leather corals, Kenya tree, soft corals and then add some lps like hammers, brains, Duncan's, etc down the line. 7. No cycle it the old fashion way with a raw shrimp. The bottled bacteria is not really effective IMO. 8. Yes but I have a 20 gallon nano and it isn't to bad. Just keep up on evaporation, water changes and only use RO/DI water. Hope this helps and just ask away if you have any other questions.

The floors were finished and look great, by the way. Thanks for such a fast reply :D But now, we're painting, so I'll just research until Christmas. If I can keep some fish and corals alive, then I'll invest in something big, later. Do gobies burrow? Or dig? I don't know what to call it. And isn't there a breed of goby and a shrimp that "pair off"? My memory is a bit rusty. I went to a restaurant today, and saw a saltwater tank. There were 2 clownfish paired off, swimming in the corner the whole time, probably an example of territorial-ness. There was a fish there that I fell in love with, but I can't find the name. Sorry about the bad quality photo. Can you name it?

Attachments

• image-1271279324.jpg
    image-1271279324.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 140
Here's a better picture:

Attachments

• image-2623325231.jpg
    image-2623325231.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 133
I have the regular 29g biocube and really enjoy it. It is easy to maintain and makes buying all the parts easy since its all included.
You will need a heater and a powerhead also so put that into your equation. I will try to touch on some of your other questions BUT the stocking comes first. I dont want you to get your hopes up on alot of fish to add cause to be honest you really cant fit that that many in one. The inch per gallon rule does NOT apply, even a little bit. You idea of clowns is good, just pick ones you really like. Perculas can be nastier than oscellaris and some clowns will get too big in my opinion for that tank, like maroons. I would not rely on a bottle of bacteria to cycle the tank, less problems just cycling the old fashioned way. lol As far as larger tanks, believe it or not the larger the easier they are to maintain and keep. More water equals more room for error. (and more fish!)
With a stock biocube I would consider any soft corals like zooas, palys and leathers. I have some LPS like torches, duncans and frogspawn. If placed high enough in the tank maybe even some hard corals like monti caps.
I currently run 9 tanks right now and the biocube is my second favorite (right behind my 125g reef tank). :)

You might also want to invest in a basket filter media addon, you can get that at InTANK: Home I believe it is. Makes cleaning the filter sooo much easier and cleaner. I run a filter pad on the top shelf, then purigen then on the bottom chemipure elite. the elite has gfo which will help control phosphates that can cause algae. If you dont opt for the intank media basket and use the stock filter cartridges (they are like $8 each) I would not use the included bioballs and go with rock rubble in the back. You can even make a refugium ion the back of the tank with an intank rack and keep macro algae and rock there. Lots of options but just get your fish list together to make sure you are getting a big enough tank for your wants.

For example, in my biocube right now I have:
1- chalk bass
1- pygmy hawkfish
1- royal gramma
1- Combtooth blenny
AND
1 itty bitty sailfin blenny (less than an inch long!)

I have a bunch of snails and hermits of course, an emerald crab and a fire shrimp.

I believe I am fully stocked or if not overstocked lol. It all depends on the size, temperment and behavior of the fish involved. Some tanks would be overstocked with 3 fish some could probably get away with 10 fish, just depends on the fish. Most of my fish are perchers so they dont take up much swim space. The chalk bass and gramma swim a bit but the others are just sitting around usually. lol

Thats a male bird wrasse. the females are identical but brown. Thos guys are for like 55g and up tanks tho. :)

i am also in process of cycling my new biocube 29! congrats! i love it. keep the bio-balls out and put rubble rock/chaeto in the 2nd chamber...take the false bottom out of the 1st chamber...just push down hard and it will pop out..also look into cutting the wall going into the 2nd chamber to get more flow..dont use the stock filter..and also take out the foam by the return pump! make sure you do tons and tons and tons of research..most of the time your LFS will tell you what you'd like to hear about stocking corals and fish..make sure you get the REAL scoop from the genius's on here! good luck!

Hey, now let's focus on the stocking and coral.
By the way, thanks for all of these great answers! So, I love the way jaw fish look/act, but they require "moderate" care. Has anybody had any experience with them, and if they are hard to take care of, etc.?
Next, I love Pajama Cardinals. They're so darn colorful!
Any other species, besides clowns, and gobies that are recommended?
If I were to get a jawfish, would a pair of clowns bug it, and maybe one other fish?

Also, corals, I need to research those more.

Thanks!

~Katy

Thats a male bird wrasse. the females are identical but brown. Thos guys are for like 55g and up tanks tho. :)
Hi! You're great with the aquarium concept. Could I have a possum wrasse in my 29G? Do you have any experience with them?

I dont see why not, they are fairly small and quite cute. Thats one fish i havent had just yet lol

I dont see why not, they are fairly small and quite cute. Thats one fish i havent had just yet lol

Since I got the tank, and it's full, do you know if it is common for corals to grow off of live rock?

What lighting is it? That will dictate the corals. Zoas are one of my favorites and will do fine under either lights

What lighting is it? That will dictate the corals. Zoas are one of my favorites and will do fine under either lights

Well, it's all stock. There's a 10,000k light, and I think a 6k, and a few more. I apologize for lack of knowledge.

No your good I think they're power compacts. You can
Do softies and some lower light lps

Back
Top Bottom