New 30 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wasn't pleased with the diy overflow so did it again ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402052572.634542.jpg.

I also made a top out of egg crate for and carpet surfers I may get ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402052633.879826.jpg

Need to finish the return pump plumbing then water test. After that time to fill with lr, SW and sand and start cycling!

Make sure you test that rerun pump. When I did that on my old tank I found the more holes= less flow. Not sure what you're looking for but just an FYI. Looking good!

Make sure you test that rerun pump. When I did that on my old tank I found the more holes= less flow. Not sure what you're looking for but just an FYI. Looking good!

Was planning on it. I figured more holes the better? Wonder why that is?? We will see.

Hmmmm, ok I will have to play with it. It's 12" long now. Wonder if I should just cut it down so I have less holes

Water checked the tank last night! All went well! Will have play with the overflow has a little gurgle noise but nothing to bad

Ok folks I'm moving along. Display tank is about full of water. Hope to get rock in tonight. I plan on just putting powerhead on it until I get my sump full enough to run the whole system. Is that ok? Do lights need to be on to cycle the tank? Also any other way then a shrimp to get ammonia spike. I heard there is some over the counter stuff like uncle toms something???

I what's stopping you from running your whole system? You will get some bb in your sump and everything also so I would run it of you can. Should be ok to run just the power head if you really need to until you get the sump going. I did the shrimp method for the first time with my last cycle and worked great.

As for the additives I always do a little in addition to shrimp. Some are against it but it's always worked great for me. I normally cycle within a week or 2. Others use flake food, brine shrimp, or other fish food in place of a full shrimp. You need something for the bacteria to feed on to multiply.

Rock is in!!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402368180.145097.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402368193.450384.jpgthe blue light!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402368215.385097.jpghitch hiker!! :)

Is there a down side to having glass lids on a SW tank? Will it affect the reef?

Ok put shrimp in today, 4-5 days right? Will it stink up house?

Lack if room for gases to be released. Also have to clean it daily because of water condensation. I was always afraid of accidentally breaking it too. So I swapped it out for screen top

Back
Top Bottom