New 30 gallon reef build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bduni50

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok I did some trading! I picked up a 36" 30 gallon tank with a 20 gallon sump. Came with a stand and hood, 2 core life 10k light fixture, mag 7 return pump. I also put a tunze 6025 in it for more flow. When I get it plumbed and sand and water he is giving me 40 pounds of established lr. I plan on up grading the lights and getting a skimmer down the road. So far I have no money invested!!!!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401791862.537091.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1401791877.883026.jpg

Question is do I have enough flow? I also have a mairnland mj1200 powerhead. Also will 20 pounds of sand do the trick? O this is my first SW tank.

Question is do I have enough flow? I also have a mairnland mj1200 powerhead. Also will 20 pounds of sand do the trick? O this is my first SW tank.

That depends on what you want to do with the tank. One powerhead isn't going to be enough for a tank for coral, but might be ok for a FOWLR setup.
In terms of sand and rock, you want to aim for 1 lbs per gallon with both sand and rock.

Ok I can add another power head. What should I get? I can get more sand. Just don't want a deep sand bed.

It doesn't go as far as you think. I have 60 lbs of sand in my 55 gallon reef and sometimes wish it was thicker.

The brand of powerheads is up to you, really. I used korallia's before I picked up my Vortechs. The Vortechs are high priced, but Korallia are good quality for the money.

Ok I will get 30 pounds of sand. Mix of blk and white sand.

If you want corals make sure it is non metallic reef safe black sand.

All that black sand is metallic, doesn't harm any of the livestock but DO NOT use a mag cleaner on it, especially acrylic, it'll scratch it all up

Hmmm, maybe I will just use regular sand or a mix. 20 pounds white 10 pounds black. So does the flow look good?

Ok have another question. Was thinking about not doing a skimmer on this tank and use the extra space for the fuge. What are y'all's thoughts on this. I hear skimmers not that great on smaller systems like this.

You drilling the tank and setting up a sump? I if I was choosing between a fuge and a skimmer, it's skimmer hands down, every time. Just my $.02

It's already drilled with a 20 gallon long sump. Any advice on a skimmer under 200

Hydor slim skim nano is what I got for my 30 gal. I can't put sump in our apartment so it's going in the tank itself but they are $80 on Dr fostersmith

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Only advice I got in the unit was to zip tie a filter sock over the internal tube so no chance of dinging the prop if anything makes it into the unit

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom