New 300 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Updated photo of the shark. He's about 7" now. Eating is somewhat of a challenge and takes a little bit, but he is eating which I hear is the toughest part of new sharks.

Stock:
Fish:
Miniatus Grouper
White spotted grouper
Zebra eel
Yellow tang
Unicorn tang
Koran angel
One spot rabbit fish
Striped puffer
Dogface puffer
Lunar wrasse
Niger trigger
Volitan lionfish

Coral:
Toadstool mushroom
Kenya tree
3 mushroom varieties
Hammer coral

And eventually the shark once it's big enough.

It depends on what size the sharks will be. Mine is pretty docile during the day, and is getting more and more active at night. They'll probably be fine for a while, but in a year or two, they'll need a bigger tank. Filtration shouldn't be an issue until they're larger also. Based on research I've done, I wouldn't plan on a 180 being a permanent home for them.

It depends on what size the sharks will be. Mine is pretty docile during the day, and is getting more and more active at night. They'll probably be fine for a while, but in a year or two, they'll need a bigger tank. Filtration shouldn't be an issue until they're larger also. Based on research I've done, I wouldn't plan on a 180 being a permanent home for them.

My lfs told me a blue tang would be great for my 37g, i mean what can you do lol

Wow!! I would not rely on any information from them. Hope the rest if their customers are on forums like this to get good information.

I think what's more frustrating is working as an employee and telling a customer that a fish is in no way suitable for their tank. Yet, they insist on leaving with a copperband, blue tang, yellow tang, and fox face for a 29g.

Airgoose, your in Denver, what's a good store around here? I've been going to Neptunes seeing how I live in Littleton, great customer service and never stirred me wrong, but holy Hell their prices are exceptionally high! Any advice?

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow!! I would not rely on any information from them. Hope the rest if their customers are on forums like this to get good information.

The owners been in the hobby for 30 years, he has a 300g in his kitchen. Ive seen it and he keeps fish sutible for the tank size and what not, but for some reason tells others wrong? Lol i saw one of the most trusted employees ( i listen to her for invert and coral advice only) tell a guy a yellow tang was ok for his 34g and meanwhile he is saying its gonna be alright... What type of idiot decides that a fish is ok for their size tank when they obliviously dont no crap about it????

I just saw the unicorn tang pics. Very cool. I was at Sea World a few weeks back and they had one in a huge tank and it was massive. I thought I had a pic, but can't find it. Keep us posted...hopefully it does better with you .

I actually live in Colorado Springs, but have been to neptunes. I agree, their prices are up there. Nice store though. The only other one I've been to up there is closed now as far as I know. They were more of an aquarium maintenance business, but would get fish and coral fr tanks they maintained once and a while and resell them. Great prices too. Wish they were still around. I just did a search on Craigslist for "corals" up in Denver. There are a lot of locals and marine reef clubs selling all kinds of stuff. You could check that out.

I'm hoping the unicorn's fins start to grow back. Never seen one in person until this one, but the pics and videos I've looked at are pretty cool. For now, it's a process with signs of hope in it's future.

As for the owner's tank, it's pretty hard to find a fish in the hobby that doesn't fit in a 300. But it's a business and he has to make money. Hopefully he's selling them bigger tanks once they grow too big. Or maybe that's why there's so many fish for sale on Craigslist up there..

Last edited:
As for the owner's tank, it's pretty hard to find a fish in the hobby that doesn't fit in a 300. But it's a business and he has to make money. Hopefully he's selling them bigger tanks once they grow too big. Or maybe that's why there's so many fish for sale on Craigslist up there..

Yeah lol, i bought my 60 cube from their store at a swap, got it for $250 with some coralife aqualight metalhalides, a ballast, and a 12g sump but i would never buy a tank from actually them, a 125g with daul overflows costs $900!

That's pretty high for a 125. But they're in the area to sell things for more.

Yeah lol, i bought my 60 cube from their store at a swap, got it for $250 with some coralife aqualight metalhalides, a ballast, and a 12g sump but i would never buy a tank from actually them, a 125g with daul overflows costs $900!

What! I paid 300 for a 135 drilled! That's insane!

Back
Top Bottom