New 300 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kind of odd, but this was cool to see at the same time. My narrow lined puffer was puffed up this morning. I've never seen him puff up before. He does look like he's suddenly an inch longer though. Maybe he was stretching out his skin for his growth spurt. Nothing seemed to cause it, but he's doing fine. I wish the focus on my phone worked better. The picture of him straight on would be awesome if it was clearer. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388454268.737964.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388454279.007084.jpg

Kind of odd, but this was cool to see at the same time. My narrow lined puffer was puffed up this morning. I've never seen him puff up before. He does look like he's suddenly an inch longer though. Maybe he was stretching out his skin for his growth spurt. Nothing seemed to cause it, but he's doing fine. I wish the focus on my phone worked better. The picture of him straight on would be awesome if it was clearer.

Wow! Never seen that!

Thought I'd show the shark after 12 days in my tank. First is day one, second is today. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388712991.514113.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388713005.918805.jpg

One sometimes does feel like a mad scientist in this hobby. Biology, chemistry, physics... It all comes into play. But hatching frankenshark will be one of the coolest things I've done in the hobby.

Not sure what BB is, but going to assume its Bio-bacteria. If so, there is still about 80 lbs of live rock in the tank and 15 lbs in the sump. I also have 5 damsels in there to keep up some of the bio load. I'm hoping that will work well enough. Thoughts?

Not sure what BB is, but going to assume its Bio-bacteria. If so, there is still about 80 lbs of live rock in the tank and 15 lbs in the sump. I also have 5 damsels in there to keep up some of the bio load. I'm hoping that will work well enough. Thoughts?

BB= benefical bacteria so you got it. I would stick some media in the 300 and by the time youve got the shark hatched it will have grown atleast some amount of BB to help.

I could swap out rocks from the 300 with the 150 once it's hatched. There's still at least 80 lbs in the 150 I could change over. Good idea.

That shark is coming along nicely! Hopefully you catch it while it's hatching as that would produce some cool pictures :D

Those sharks are really cool. I recently downsized my tank and had to part with mine. I hatched him like this. You'll come home from work to a great surprise soon!

I'm looking forward to it. I hope to be home when it happens, but as long as it does happen, I'll be happy. That would be tough to have to get rid of a shark. Hopefully you'll get another one some day. How long did you have your egg before it hatched?

That is awesome, can't wait to have a tank big enough for a shark!

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Done with metal halides! I only had two 400 watt halides going, and it was jacking up my temp and flow rates. Originally they were on the same circuit as my pump an figured if I moved them onto a different circuit, it would quit messing with the flow. After a couple days of this test, no change. The water levels in the tank and the sump were still fluctuating morning and night when the lights were on and after they went off. It wasn't a quick change, which meant I wasps sing with the control valves constantly to keep the water levels where they should be. Glad it happened over the holidays when I was home. This drove me nuts for quite a while. Well I decided that it wasn't the circuit messing with the pump and drawing energy from it, so it had to be something else. It was water temperature. With the lights on, it would raise the tank temp by about 4-6 degrees. That's a big change in a salt tank. Without them on for the past couple days, water levels have not fluctuated not had the temperature. I ordered another heater though to help raise it where I want it to be. As of eight now, the tank has 700w of heat and I ordered another 400w heater to solve the temp issue. Amazing what temperature fluctuations can do to water levels. Pretty good learning experience though. LEDs will be ordered soon. Just thought I'd share this with everyone. Feel free to comment with your own experiences. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom