New 36g Tall SW reef tank. pics soon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

:D Hi i just bought a New 36g Tall aquarium and looking to make this my reef tank. i have been in the feild for about 5 years but never went reefer yet. always just fish-only and a few peices of live rock. latey i have bought 36lbs of fiji LR and its cureing now. shouldnt be long till its done.
i want to do this right and do it right the first time.
i want to try to be as natural as i can be with out a filter. i heard LR is the best filter u can have. so i want to go that route.
i have now..
36g tall aquarium
36lbs fiji LR
1-maxi-jet power head
150w heater
25 watt lifegaurd UV light
prizm skimmer. (cant stop it from leaking)might buy new one :x
saltwater master test kit
should i buy or add anything thing else? :?:

i am buying a sunpod HQI 20" light from drfostersmith.com. but now i am wondering if a 150watt is going to be bright enough for a 36g tall. i would of bought it now. but dont want to pick the wrong wattage.
for sand i was going to use the 20lbs i have in my old tank and buy another 20lbs more at my LFS for a total of 40lbs of agronite sand(i think thats what its called.)
if u can think of anything else or whatever i should think about. pls do.
thanks alot
:wink:
i will post pics tonight of new aquarium

If you are going reef, I think there is a reefmater SW test kit. If you go with 1.5-2 Lbs of rock per gallon, that should provide great biofiltration along with a skimmer (that doesn't leak). You might want to get a Ca test kit another ph (since it is a tall tank) so you can have ample surface ripple. That is about the basics, if anyone else has suggestions, feel free.

LR and a skimmer is the way that you should go. My only suggestion would be to add a little more LR. As Scott said 1.5 lbs - 2 lbs per gallon is better.

skimmer leaking

I have a new 120 tank with skimmer. I've never had a skimmer but when mentioning leaking, mine is leaking a little. Should there be a concern

Back
Top Bottom