New 40g breeder build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Supra

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just scored a 40 breeder (40 bucks petco). I'll be upgrading my 25, this is going to be a slow build because I have a lot to do (build stand and sump). I'm gonna have a million questions. I have a 20 tall I'm planning for the sump. First off ivE
Been looking at light options, I'm not sure exactly what to go with. 10,000k 6500k? How many actics how many daylight. Stuff like that. I have a 24" marine land led on my twenty five but I think I'm gonna go t5s on this. Like I said this is gonna take awhile but I've been thinking about way before I got the tank. I guess a couple of my questions are gonna be lighting, light over fuge, skimmer for sump, whats the best way to take one tank apart and set the new one up in the same spot using that live rock, and many more. Thanks in advance.
Supra

Built my stand today, I'm gonna paint it black. I don't think it's gonna fit in the spot I planned, oops. Made the door big enough so sump can fit in and out. I can probably get this up and running soon. My biggest quandary is lighting. I've read tons online but still not sure enough to buy something

image-2287625389.jpg

Supra

Built my stand today, I'm gonna paint it black. I don't think it's gonna fit in the spot I planned, oops. Made the door big enough so sump can fit in and out. I can probably get this up and running soon. My biggest quandary is lighting. I've read tons online but still not sure enough to buy something

View attachment 67476

Supra

Great score! I hope to take advantage of the dollar per gallon sale this time around. :) Nice stand too!

Thanks, ya the sale came at a perfect time. Just gotta figure out lighting and where I'm gonna put it
Supra

Looking at the fishneedit sight because I've read people like there fixtures for the price. This is what
I'm thinking what k white should I go with, any better suggestions? 3 blue 1 white. Also how would I time these?

image-3930413310.jpg

Supra

Well the stand is built and I'm moving onto to sump. I have a 10 & 20 tall, I'm leaning towards the ten for space reasons. I know bigger is better. Still debating lighting, any input? Thanks
Supra

I'm gonna go with 4x39w 3 blue actics 1 white, which k should I go with, 6500,10000,or14000
Supra

I work in construction and it's hard to schedule work between the holidays so I had to kill some time. Thanks any help on the lights?
Supra

The more I see videos and display tanks in the LFS's I wish I would have gotten better lights so I can keep SPS's. IF I were you I would see if I can find a 6 bulb fixture. I think you can keep anything you want with that much light. LiveAquaria has a nice AquaticLife Six Lamp T-5 with built in timer for $529.99. But I am willing to bet that if you have more patents than I do you will be able to find one on Craigs list for half that.

I keep SPS under a 4 bulb fixture on a 40g tank, they grow just fine, I use 2x giessman actinics and 2x giessman blue plus.

ndtyank49 said:
would you mind explaining the plans u used to build your stand?

I kinda just took measurements of my tank and built to it. I used half inch finished plywood, 2x4s for support, top and base. 3/4 plywood to sit tank on and 1x for trim roughted

jjamontan said:
It depends on what you want to keep.

Right now I have Zoas, shrooms, a frogspawn, 2 Monti caps, and some polyps. I would like to be able to support sps if I wanted. It's a shallow tank 16"
Supra

Leighton79 said:
I keep SPS under a 4 bulb fixture on a 40g tank, they grow just fine, I use 2x giessman actinics and 2x giessman blue plus.

What watt? Do you have a pic of your tank?
Supra

Back
Top Bottom