New 46 Bowfront

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JessicaK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I just bought a 46 bowfront. I really want to do a fish-only. I've never done a fish only, I did have a 5 1/2 gal nano reef about a year ago, with just 1 yellow-tail damsel. It was up and running for a year and did really well until the heater malfunctioned in the middle of the night and just about everything died :( Anyway, I think I'm ready for another tank and I just wanted some suggestions about filtration since it seems like everyone has different ideas.

I was thinking about doing a canister and some powerheads with some live rock. Although, I like the ease of HOB filters. So maybe a HOB with 2 or 3 powerheads?? Is that a bad idea? Not sure if I'll need a skimmer or not.

Thanks

if you have the extra money, skip the filter completley. get lots of live rock. if you get 1.5 to 2 lbs of live rock per gallon, then you won't even need the filter. i would suggest at least 2 powerheads no matter what. put them on opposite sides and point them at each other so that you get the ripples (or waves) on the top. you won't need a skimmer, (unless you skip the filter), but i would definitely suggest one. when i got mine, it not only made the tank better, but the water is soooo much clearer now. i still have the filter running, but only because i am just under 1 lb per gallon right now, still working on it. either way, you have a few decisions to make, but i would think about them before starting. that way, if you decide to go with more rock and a skimmer (i suggest this), then you can save the money on the filter. and if you don't want a skimmer, then you can decide ahead of time. good luck no matter what you decide and welcome to aquariumadvice.

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

I agree, you can spend your money on other items, so skip the filter. If you want to save money on LR, get a mixture of base rock and LR. I just ordered 150Lbs of base rock from http://marcorocks.com/, for my new 125G. I'll mix about 70-100Lbs of LR from my LFS, as I see pieces that I like.

Back
Top Bottom