New 50 - 60 Gallon FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chuchuj

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi Everyone,

I have been reading on these forums for a fair while using my ipad in the evenings. I just never got around to registering, well today I finally did.

I have recently set up a new tank, it currently has 2 pieces of LR and 2 dancing shrimp. I have taken various photos along the way which I hope to upload some time over the weekend. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the things are on my LR (they have tentacles and look like flowers). It probably obvious to you guys, but i have not seen any mention of these during my reading. At least, If i have I didn't know :facepalm:

I have attached some pics. One is kind of purple looking and the other is a dark brown.

Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCF1769.jpg
    DSCF1769.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 187
  • DSCF1770.jpg
    DSCF1770.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCF1771.jpg
    DSCF1771.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 188
Yep, aiptaisa, glass anemones. They can be injected with aiptasi X or with a kalkwasser solution. Make sure you go staright for the mouth when injecting, they can retract really quick and you dont wanna pull them out or they can spread like wild fire.

Welcome to the forums!!!

I am assuming that I can both of these solutions from my LFS? Since posting the purplish one has disappeared. So, I must get rid of these before they cause havoc?

Thanks for the advice!

Also I have been looking at peppermint shrimp, they look very much like the 2 dancing shrimp that I have, Could one of them eaten the missing aiptaisa?

A likely culprit, in fact if you have a pr and only a few glass nems i wouldnt worry. Theyll be taken care of for you

After another inspection, I have noticed that it is still there.

I think it has just closed itself up?

Attachments

• DSCF1774.jpg
    DSCF1774.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 196
if this is just a fish only, i wouldn't worry too much about the anemones. they tend to sting corals, and look ugly, but if you don't have any coral and don't mind looking at them, you can leave them alone. the main thing about them is that they do reproduce rapidly.
the peppermint shrimp will eat very small aptasia anemones, but i haven't seen them go after the larger ones.

I used some lime juice and boiling water to get rid of them. Worked a treat!

Thanks for the help guys!

Back
Top Bottom