new 55-gal stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lisa888

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, newbie here :) Seeking advice on how to stock my 55-gal tank. Right now I have 3 damsels that the LFS sold me to get started (I had live sand and the bottled bacteria so my ammonia never got too high for them, they didn't suffer). Two are dominos and one is a yellowtail. I heard the yellowtails are not as aggressive and this one doesn't seem to be that bad so I thought about keeping him and taking the dominos back since they are bullies. Here are some fish I like that I think would be good but I know I have to eliminate a few choices to not be overstocked, maybe you can tell me if any are less desirable to help me eliminate.

yellowtail damsel
Kaudern's cardinal (probably 2)
Clarki clownfish
flame hawkfish
firefish or bicolor dottyback
coral beauty angel
foxface rabbitfish
six line wrasse

I'd also like about 5 snails and 5 hermitcrabs and a featherduster someday (when to add these guys?)

Please give me your opinions on compatibility and the correct order to add them. I have a 20-gal QT I will be using for each addition for 4-6 weeks. How many do you think I should add at once? I heard only one at a time, but I also heard 2-3 if they are small fish.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

How long has your tank been running? I wouldnt add more than say two fish at a time and space it out over a week or two at least.

I'd have to say though that list is quite large. :) I'm counting 12 fish. I don't think I will have 12 fiash in total in my 125g when ii'm done stocking. LOL

Do you plan on corals ever? I believe the coral beauty is a nipper. Also the wrasse is a jumper too.

It's been running almost 4 weeks. I know that 12 fish is too much - like I said, I just want help eliminating a few choices from the ones I'm thinking about. I figured I'd need to eliminate 3 or 4.

I don't plan on corals anytime soon but I would like to have a small cleanup crew. I read from one person that the flame hawkfish may eat snails, anyone had experience with that one?

How long do you usually quarantine? I have heard 4 weeks, 6 weeks, depends on the fish, etc. Also what is your opinion on treating with copper or hyposalinity for everyone regardless of them looking healthy?

I just started qt'ing after losing 6 fish in a 72 hour period after I added a sick tang. :-( I plan on 2 weeks for now, some would say thats not enough but it's a good start.

Not sure about the hawkfish though, never kept one or researched them.

I have heard a bunch of contrasting stories about hawkfish. Some people say they are very nice and peaceful, while others have claimed to see them massacre the CUC. I wouldn't risk it.

Actually, I JUST asked at my lfs theother day. I totally forgot. he said he wouldnt recommend it with a reef tank. Not sure if it nips corals or the inverts but he said no.

Carey, I would tend to agree, you would think 2 weeks is enough to see if a fish is sick. Yes I also heard tangs tend to have ich so I'm going to steer clear of them, plus my tank may be a little small when they get bigger.

Greenturtle, thanks for the input, I think I will eliminate the hawkfish for now as I do want a cleanup crew. Is it okay to add the cleanup crew as soon as I have algae? I am working on reducing my nitrate level, do you think anything under 20ppm is okay for them? When I started the tank I used tap water on the advice of my LFS guy, then when I started testing afterward I found out it had 60-80ppm! Thats with API test kit, Tetra shows slightly less. Anyway, still doing PWC to try to get 0 nitrate, I'm about 40 now.

I would wait on the CUC since inverts need more stable conditions. But once the tank is stable and fully cycled i would get a few trochus and cerith snails. Probably around 5 each.

yeah, I woudl get the nitrates down and get stable before adding any livestock, even cuc. Are you using ro/di water now?

Back to the topic of the hawkfish, they are notorious for sneaking up on feather dusters and eating them.

I am using the API tap water filter (I think this is DI) and it shows 0 nitrates coming out. I also use about 50% water I get from the water filtration thing we have where I work (not sure what type of filter, but it tests 0 nitrates). So far I did one 50% water change, and I'm going to do one every week or two until it gets to 5-10ppm. Any opinion on if I can do more that 50% to speed up the process? That's just what the LFS guy told me to do. And he said he could get me some plants to help out (not sure what kind, will find out next time I drop in).

50% is probably the maximum about of water change you can do with fish in the tank. I haven't heard anything about any plants helping with nitrates.

Macro algae can help reduce nitrates, I have a bunch in my refugium in my sump. :) They consume the trates.

Oh yeah, i was trying to picture a tree or ferns in a SW tank LOL. I know that aquacon.com sells macroalgea.

I don't have a refugium or a sump, and he knows that so I think he meant put the plants directly in the tank. Yeah, he actually said if the plants grow too much I can always get a yellow tang to take care of them (but I'm worried about tangs' ich-y reputation).

Putting a yellow tang would be a huge mistake in my opinion. :) They need like a 6 foot tank to be happy in. Anything smaller and they can stress and fall ill.

They make some ornamental macroalgae as well.

Check out ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae. theyhave a huge selection and if you email them with your info they can reccomend some nice macro.

I have a 20 gal QT I just set up a week ago. I think it's good to go for a few new fish because I used a HOB filter that I had on the 55 gal and put in some rocks and sand from it. I threw in a few raw shrimp when I set it up a week ago and the ammonia hasn't even registered, so I think my biofilter is strong enough for a few fish, would you agree?

Back
Top Bottom