New 60gal Hex setup. Help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkaid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, and thanks in advance. I am looking for info on the best filter for me to get for a Saltwater tank. I would like to set it up with some liverock and sand. I will be doing the ClownFish setup with shrimp and a few of the things the Clownfish like to play in etc. A filter with a heater would be nice also if they work?

Thanks Again

Darkaid

if your looking for a filter for saltwater they recommend 1.5/2 pounds of live rock per gallon, and you dont have to waist money on a filter, you could do a sump and put the heater in there... im sure the rest will comment. just take things slow and do as much reserch as posible.

Welcome to AA.com! This sounds like a fish only set up? You can certainly keep clownfish in this type tank. If you want to keep shrimp in there, I would suggest doing a FOWLR tank where you are using LR as the biofilter. I would recommend about 90lbs of LR and a protein skimmer to start with. Probably, for this size tank, an Aqua C Remora with a MJ1200 would be sufficient as long as you don't put many fish in there. You'll need to upgrade your lighting in order to keep the coraline algae on the LR alive and growing. You'll want to do some reading before you start this project as well. I would recommend "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner to start with. This will give you a good overview of the different types of SW tanks you can do and what you'll need to do them. I think the anemones are something you'll want to wait on. They are difficult to keep and require very high levels of light.

is this hex an all glass tank? Iv'e heard horror storys on the individual panles blowing out on them. just food for thought. sorry

you might want to consider going with something other than a hex if you want to keep anenomes. anenomes require high levels of light (well at least the pretty ones that most people would want to keep), and since hex aquariums are more often taller than they are wide, it is difficult to provide adequate light. i have read some sources that say if your aquarium is more than 20 in deep that you should use metal halides for proper light levels. just a suggestion. and about the filter question, im a fan of the HOT magnum. i think it does a pretty good job, call me crazy.

Like the others say I would recommend doing lots and lots of research. And look around at other display tanks and make sure a Hex is what your heart really desires.

Back
Top Bottom