new 75 gallon equipment questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

captwnder

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've just completed cycling my 75 gallon tank and I'm trying to decide which HOB skimmer to get. Right now I'm looking at the Octopus BH-300F. Does anyone have any experience with this skimmer or others like it? Will this be enough cleaning power for my tank?

Also, I want this to be a reef tank eventually so I'm wondering if anyone has any lighting suggestions for this size tank (48"x18"x21" roughly).

TIA for any help.

I would go with the octopus skimmer. I have one right now, the bh-100, and i think its an amazing skimmer. Right out of the box i had no problems with it and its doing exactly what its supposed to be doing. Very durable and trust me, the skimmer is high grade quality. Also, the one your thinking of getting will have no problems skimming your tank amazingly. Its rated for up to 135G so ya it will work. As for the lighting, i would go with T5 lighting, but if you have the money to splurge, go with metal halide lights. If going with the T5, lookup the "Current USA: Nova Extreme Pro." With that light you will be able to have just about any corals you like.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I've seen the Nova Extreme name a lot on this site so I'm sure it's a good choice. I'll check it out.

I'm curious if anyone has any insight into the differences between the bh-300 and the bh-300F. I know the F stands for "filter" but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $30. I also noticed the bh-300 is rated for up to 150 gallons while the 300f is 135 so I guess I just want to make sure I wouldn't be better off with just the 300 (without the F).

I think now your on a personal preference level lol. If you want the extra filtration that the 300F will give you, then you should go with it. If you just want it as a skimmer, nothing more, than go with the 300. Im sure they will both work the same, just one without the filter. And yeah, the Nova extremes (pro) are really great lights. I had a thread about lighting and everyone seemed to fall towards the support of the nova extremes. Only reason im not getting the pro, is because funds will not permit me to get it lol. If i had the extra 75$ i would definitely get the pros.

Thanks linksyz. I've actually been following your build thread and I've learned a lot. I'm probably going to order the lights and skimmer next week so I'll post some pics once it's all setup.

:D Thanks for following my build!

Nice, be sure to take some pics. We all love dem pics! ;D

Back
Top Bottom