New 90 Gallon Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArcadiaC

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I'm looking to start a new 90 gallon tropical reef aquarium. I kind of need some help choosing the fish and corals, and need to learn how to care for them. I've kept freshwater aquariums before, but never saltwater. I would really like my fish to be as colourful as possible with preferences of blue, pink, orange, and purple.
These are some of my ideas already.
Must Have Fish:
Clownfish
Firefish
Angelfish
Possible Fish:
Blennie
I really have no knowledge whatsoever of coral though. I'm willing to wait and learn all I can before buying anything for this aquarium. I want it to be both beautiful and healthy.

Other Questions

How many fish should I have?
What kinds of coral should I have?
How do I care for saltwater?
Are there any schooling saltwater fish?

It depends on what fish you go with , I keep 12 in my 90 but somehow I managed to over do it with blues , soon as I find some colorful I will swap out a few blues to make room,

don't forget to give allowance for fish to grow , when small it may not look over crowded and you think to yourself I can add a few more , but once they start growing you see you over did it and scratch head as you fell for all of them on which ones to get rid of .

as for corals it all depends on your lighting , I always suggest start with zoa's/palys
and other softies like leathers , once you get used to taking care of those you can start moving up the ladder to LPS torch , hammers , elegance ect , now after that if you have really good lights you could try your hand at SPS ,

What ever you choose to do fish coral ect always go slow you don't want to over load the tank to fast as it is new .

this was my 90 build the only difference was I transferred 2 established tanks to the 90 so basically I didn't need to reestablish BB as I used all my existing rocks , filters ect , look forward to see your tank once you get it under way (y)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/seaweeds-90g-build-transformation-293835.html

I just started up a 93 gallon cube reef (FOWLR only at the moment). I have added a clown goby and a royal gramma. The royal gramma will give you some purple and it's a small fish. I am not sure what else to add so let me know how things come along. I have the same questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Number of fish depends a lot on how much rock you have and filteration.
Mine is only a 40 gallon but I have.

1 Percula clown
1 Neon goby
1 Court Jester goby
2 Purple Firefish gobies
1 Royal Gamma
1 Blue grudgeon goby
2 Blue green chromis
2 sexy shrimp
2 Scarlet skunk shrimp
1 fighting conch
3 snails and a few blue legged hermits.

Some would say I am overstocked,but the only fish on my list that would be considered semi- aggressive is the clown.So far all get along fine.
I have zero phosphates and my nitrates stay at 10 or below.
You want to stay away from dottyback though,they are all mean suckers even the little purple one.
Make sure you add slowly to let your bacteria keep up.
Good luck

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom