New Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andari

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 47 gal SW with LR and LS and I'm very insecure about how the cycling is going. It's been running almost two months now. It has reach the point where the Nitrates have spiked. Is a water change really all I need to do at this point? It spiked to about 30 3 days after I added my clownfish. Everything else is testing great.

Start the water changes if you have nitrates. Prepare a new mix of SW a day before the change. Let it mix in a tub or bucket with a powerhead and heater. Then check it for proper SG and adjust if necessary. It is best to let the water mix for a day so that everything dissolves properly. Keep checking for nitrates, and if necessary keep up the water changes. Give it a day in between as to not shock your inhabitants, though.

You should be good. Just do a large (50%) water change and wait a few more days. If all is well you can begin to add livestock SLOWLY.

Andari said:
It spiked to about 30 3 days after I added my clownfish. Everything else is testing great.
What was your no3 before you added the clown. If it was below 10 ppm then having a spike to 30 ppm was not caused by one fish <4” in a 47 gal tank.

What, how much, and how often do you feed your clown fish?

What are your other readings ie: ph,sg,nh3,no2, & temp? Also clowns are prone to getting ich fairly easy. Did you qt the clown before adding to the main?

Back
Top Bottom