New -cloudy water in marine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmckoy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi .I have recently decided to start another marine
Aquarium after a few years .
I recently setup a 70 gal
I am having a problem with the water being very
Cloudy .
Not sure if its the live sand .
I'm very curious how long it will stay this way for .

How long after adding the sand will it take to clear up ,
I have cleaned the filters and since last night it has cleared up a little

Thanks for welcoming me to AA

How long after adding the sand will it take to clear up ,
I have cleaned the filters and since last night it has cleared up a little

It usually only takes a couple days but you may be having a bacteria bloom as well so it may take a little longer. It will get there dont worry about it so much.

Thanks for welcoming me to AA

No problem :)

It usually only takes a couple days but you may be having a bacteria bloom as well so it may take a little longer. It will get there dont worry about it so much.

No problem :)

Is it best to run the filters but leave lights off ?
Or turn off pumps to and let things settle

I normally wait a day for the sand to settle and then turn on filters. I don't turn on and power heads for a couple days. Its bad on pumps if sand gets into them

I normally wait a day for the sand to settle and then turn on filters. I don't turn on and power heads for a couple days. Its bad on pumps if sand gets into them

Thank you so much for your time .
Something's are hard to find information on .
The last marine tank I set up I didn't use sand .
Is there anything I should know or watch for once starting up pumps ?

Thank you so much for your time .
Something's are hard to find information on .
The last marine tank I set up I didn't use sand .
Is there anything I should know or watch for once starting up pumps ?

Just noise, if they start making it then I'd turn them off. It may help to run filter floss (<< that stuff will work wonders)

Last edited:
Just wanted to say welcome!! I see your in good hands!! Andy is the man!!

Thanks .
The filter floss is working wonders .
Next question is about starting to cycle .
When is a good time to introduce live rock or fish?
In order to start to cycle I will need some kind of fish ?

You can do it different ways here is a good way to get it started while it's trying to clear up. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/cycle-your-salt-tank/

You can also do it fish in but it's a little harder and will cost you more in salt. With the rock you can add your base rock but I'd wait on the other stuff till it cycles or you'll kill anything living on it

Thank you for the link .
It was very helpful and I'm starting to understand allot more about cycling my tank .
The next question I have when I start checking levels do I need to leave it and let the levels come down by them selves ?

Thank you for the link .
It was very helpful and I'm starting to understand allot more about cycling my tank .
The next question I have when I start checking levels do I need to leave it and let the levels come down by them selves ?

It depends on how your going to cycle? If your going to do it that way then you'll have to watch ammonia levels. If they get above 4ppm then you will need to remove the shrimp. But otherwise yes you have to wait till ammonia can turn into nitrite and then nitrate.

Doing it fish in you'll have to keep testing and doing water changes to keep the ammonia & nitrite down, so it will be.safe for the fish.

It depends on how your going to cycle? If your going to do it that way then you'll have to watch ammonia levels. If they get above 4ppm then you will need to remove the shrimp. But otherwise yes you have to wait till ammonia can turn into nitrite and then nitrate.

Doing it fish in you'll have to keep testing and doing water changes to keep the ammonia & nitrite down, so it will be.safe for the fish.

Should I run the skimmer and the filters ?
I was told when setting it up I wouldn't need to run a skimmer yet cause there wouldn't be anything in the water to take out .

I wouldn't worry.about the skimmer right now

You have been a huge help .
Thank you very much .
Is there a set time to wait after filling , mixing salt and adding sand before I start the cycle ?
I filled and started it on Saturday afternoon .
Thanks again

You have been a huge help .
Thank you very much .
Is there a set time to wait after filling , mixing salt and adding sand before I start the cycle ?
I filled and started it on Saturday afternoon .
Thanks again

No set time at all, you can start the cycle process right away if ya wanted to as long as you have an ammonia source.

The way your tank is right now is doing nothing but cleaning the cloudy water from the sand. Until you add ammonia of some sort the cycle won't start.

You need to start doing some research on the nitrogen cycle to get a good understanding of it. Under my.picture below is a link for freshwater getting started. It will cover a lot of info that will help you get the idea of what's going on and what has to happen.

No set time at all, you can start the cycle process right away if ya wanted to as long as you have an ammonia source.

The way your tank is right now is doing nothing but cleaning the cloudy water from the sand. Until you add ammonia of some sort the cycle won't start.

You need to start doing some research on the nitrogen cycle to get a good understanding of it. Under my.picture below is a link for freshwater getting started. It will cover a lot of info that will help you get the idea of what's going on and what has to happen.

Does the live sand provide any ammonia or do I only get it from fish , food , or anything decomposing like the shrimp we were talking about ?
Thanks again Andy , ill upload pictures as I go .

Your not going to get any ammonia out of the sand. It will come from the other things you listed. Some sands that are sold are said to have live bacteria in it. I've only used the stuff once way back when on a salt tank and I don't think it helped any.

You adding an ammonia source will create bacteria in your filters and sand and everything else to start growing. Once the bacteria catches up it will convert the ammonia to nitrite, nitrate. That's the purpose of a cycle. Ammonia and nitrite is deadly to fish so you don't want them . The tank. Nitrate should be kept at low levels. You'll be able to do that by being on a good water change schedule.

Back
Top Bottom