New FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rvosburgh82

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:dance: I did it! after several months of research, reading, and watching online videos, yesterday I set up my first Saltwater aquarium. Just the substrate, water and some dry rock right now. I plan to stop at my LFS to pick up 20 pounds of LR tonight. I haven't tested the water yet. This morning the dusted had all about settled and the water looked pretty clear.

My Question is: After adding my LR, when should I start adding my clean up crew? I understand there will be some die off from the LR and I'll want that cleaned up before I add my fish. I probably won't add fish for a few months. I have a 30g tank. I currently have about 20 pounds of dry rock and will be adding 20 pounds LR tonight. I'd like to wait for the dry rock to be seeded before adding many fish.

Also, I currently have a HOB filter, that was part of my freshwater tank. I've replaced the carbon filter with Bioballs. The guy at the LFS told me I really don't need it if I've got enough LR. Is this adequate filtration? I really only plan to have a couple clowns and some damsels to start. While planning this tank I could hear my Grandfather in my head saying "keep it simple stupid." So, that's what I wanted to do. At-least to start.

Well done for taking the big step.

Do you have a protein skimmer?

You dont really need a clean up crew without any fish. They are also as sensitive as fish so dont add them until your tank is cycled.

A HOB filter probably wont be needed if you have sufficient live rock and a good protein skimmer.

No skimmer yet. Still researching them. what do you think about the Hydor slim skim nano? From what I've read it seems to be a pretty good HOB skimmer and quiet. That's a big issue since the tank is in my family room.

Rvosburgh82 said:
No skimmer yet. Still researching them. what do you think about the Hydor slim skim nano? From what I've read it seems to be a pretty good HOB skimmer and quiet. That's a big issue since the tank is in my family room.

Hydor slim skims are internal and will take up space in your tank unless you have a back chamber or sump. You may want to look into a good HOB skimmer. I personally like aqua c remora. They do a good job and do not require special pumps, just a maxi-jet PH.

Back
Top Bottom