new guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WAX

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i started a 10gal saltwater tank and i was wondering if i would be able to grow the the good algae on the live rock only using a T-8 15w 9325k and a T-8 15w actinic 03 bulbs

WELCOME TO AA!!

Please do not cycle your tank with live animals.

Are you talking about the beneficial nitrifying bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrItes and then to nitrItes? If that is the case, you only need an ammonia source to start your cycle. Lighting is not really much of an issue during the cycle.

Since roka64 covered one possible answer, I'll try the other possible answer! (It's a team effort.)

If you're talking about coralline algae - the purple/white/green hard stuff - then I believe you're OK with lighting. Correct me if I'm wrong folks, but coralline doesn't take much lighting, and at 3 Watts/gallon you should be OK.

That lighting should be fine for some low light corals and your coraline to grow. I will say you dont need a fish to cycle as roka said , just something to give you your ammonia source to kick start it understanding the nano

ok thanks guys.. :)

oh yeah. the guy at the pet store said i should run the actinic 03 24hrs a day. is this true??

No... absolutely not true.

In the morning, I have my actinics turn on 30 minutes before the main white lights. In the evening, I have the actinics turn off 1 hour after the main white lights. It gives a dawn/dusk feel, and allows you to see some of the beautiful flourescent colors on the corals with just the actinics.

Actinics will fuel algae, just as the whites do. And your fish don't have light for 24 hours a day in the ocean, so I'm thinking that would freak them out.

I agree with Kurt. Originally I did the same thing until the power went out a few times and I go tired of resetting everything. Now, I just run my lights from 2PM-10PM.

didn't think so.
thank you all very much

WAX said:
ok thanks guys.. :)

oh yeah. the guy at the pet store said i should run the actinic 03 24hrs a day. is this true??

As Kurt said that is not true. I run my 50/50 and super actinic 10-12 hrs a day.

Back
Top Bottom