New hobby need advices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tospace2006

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey i just took an interest in this hobby
I started at looking into making my own mini reef and it seems very interesting. But..... it also seems very costly....
I am thinking about taking it real slow since i don't have a lot of money.
First im thinking about growing some corals
and than just adding some little fish and who knows how it will end up.
So im wondering if anyone could give me advices on basics of how to do this.
What are basic equipments i will need that is not too expensive but make this work.

Hey i just took an interest in this hobby
I started at looking into making my own mini reef and it seems very interesting. But..... it also seems very costly....
I am thinking about taking it real slow since i don't have a lot of money.
First im thinking about growing some corals
and than just adding some little fish and who knows how it will end up.
So im wondering if anyone could give me advices on basics of how to do this.
What are basic equipments i will need that is not too expensive but make this work.

With all due respect, the paradigm you suggest is at odds with itself. Coral is the most expensive, requires the most care and expensive equipment. If you want to start off cheap go with FO or FOWLR and work your way up to a reef setup. The lighting, filter, and just about everything else can be achieved with much lower quality equipment.

You can run a non-reef tank with nothing more than fake ornaments and a HOB filter. Or just a HOB for that matter.

No matter which way you go, you are correct S L O W L Y is the operative word.

Again, the advice is based on your number one priority being cost.

Please see your other post. Generally the mods frown on posting the same post in multiple forums.

I do know that corals cost the most but don't you usually start off with corals?
I am on a tight budget but if am able to find a cheap or free tank im sure i can afford them.
what is FO and FOWLR??????
im glad other stuff can be cheaper
thank you for your advices im new and information on this hobby is hard to find

What size tank are you planning on going with? In saltwater usually the bigger the better.....

FO = Fish Only
FOWLR Fish Only with Live Rock

A coral reef setup is clearly the most expensive and least tolerant of inadequate conditions

FO = Fish Only
FOWLR Fish Only with Live Rock

A coral reef setup is clearly the most expensive and least tolerant of inadequate conditions

i understand that corals are very hard to take care of but i really want to try it they are so interesting and beautiful.
what im most scared of is the weather here in vancouver, canada.
the temperature swings around wildy it was something like 15 degrees few days ago and 2 nights ago it went down to -5 and started to snow and dumped 40cm of snow in one night. would this be bad??? because i live in the basememnt and plan to keep my tank here too and the basement changes temperature like it is outside

Both threads merged together. Please dont double post same thread in different forums. Makes for a very untidy site.

That's why you'll be spending money on several heaters and the electricity they consume. Though you'll be doing that regardless of your decision of reef/fowlr/fo.

Browse through the link above and start making your shopping list. It won't take long to realize the difference in cost between reef and non-reef.

To give you a quick breakdown for price on a 30g tank.

Corals require light and light requires money. You can get away with T5 and maybe even PC lighting on a 30g tank if you are going to house low light corals. I've seen 30g setups with computer controllers and 250w of metal halide lighting. The sky really is the limit when it comes to these systems.

What you will need:

Lighting: probably cost between $150 and $350
Skimmer: get a good one! $150 - $300 (depending on brand)
Live rock: 50-75lbs @ $3.99-$8.99 per lb
Flow: corals require flow 20-30x turn over per hour (30g tank = 600phg - 900gph) This is just the flow in the tank you can achieve this with power heads
Filtration: I don't recommend HOB power filters or canister filters for a reef tank. I suggest the above amount of LR and a good skimmer along with a refugium (google it)
A Sump is a very good idea which means you will need an overflow box.

The point here is having corals is going to cost you a LOT more then just having fish. Corals themselves are very expensive specially if you are looking for those really interesting beautiful pieces.

You could easily spend well over $2000 on a 30g setup.

wow i dont have that kinda money. i was looking for something like 500-600
so guess ill start off with FO or FOWLR and maybe in the future add corals

im thinking about getting one of those biocubes. they come with lighting filter and skimmer and cost for 30 gal is around 300-400 dollors what do you guys think???

That is a much better option. You will still need to get the amount of rock I suggested though it doesn't have to all be live rock. Go to the article section of this site and read about setting up and cycling your tank. The link that Mike provided also has some great information!

wow awesome thanks for the advice now i just need to locate a store that sells them wow this sure is a costly hobby but its just so fascinating >.< i just can't get away from it. My mom is strictly against it right now but ill convince her haha

im thinking about local since i don't want to pay for shipping because i live in canada. and USD is more expensive thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom