New in need of some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Higgy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been researching saltwater & reef aquariums for about 2 years and finally got a 36 gallon tank for a small room.
Refugium is a reef octopus w/light, skimmer is a Hydor Slim Skim (65g), two Hydor power heads on the way as well. The refugium, skimmer and power heads are on the way (ordered them online). I'm going to be picking up a heater & T5 lights at the LFS.
I'm also going to be getting a reefkeeper in a few months to avoid buying stand alone pH & temp probes, plus I travel alot for business, so the net module seems awesome.
My big question is with the live rock. I purchased it online (BRS fiji dry liverock...37lbs). It says free of parasites, but never mentions cured vs uncured. Can it be done in the new tank? I also purchased 40lbs of live sand as well.
Any insight on the rock, or ideas in general would be greatly appreciated.
:fish2:

you definitely can cycle the rock in your 36 gallon. You will need to add an ammonia source to start the cycle.

I've never owned a ph probe. This is not a necessary item. That might help you in the reefkeeper purchase. unless you like fancy gadgets, it's not going to save you much, since heaters come with built in thermostats. Unless you can race home if something goes wrong, the internet link isn't useful either.

I believe when they say its dry rock it means it was once live and they dried it out so there is NO chance of unwanted hitchhikers. Many people do this for that reason alone. The rock and sand during your cycle will become live again only it will be free of any bad "stuff"

Hopefully more experienced members will chime in but I believe that's the case with dried live rock.

I know people that buy live rock and leave it in the sun for days/weeks making sure to kill anything that was living in or on it. It's not an uncommon practice.

you definitely can cycle the rock in your 36 gallon. You will need to add an ammonia source to start the cycle.

I've never owned a ph probe. This is not a necessary item. That might help you in the reefkeeper purchase. unless you like fancy gadgets, it's not going to save you much, since heaters come with built in thermostats. Unless you can race home if something goes wrong, the internet link isn't useful either.

I LOVE fancy gadgets...and while I'm on business trips I can have my oldest tweak the tank if needbe, she's an extreme animal lover and does this type of thing in school.

Plus I had a very bad experience with a built in thermostat on a freshwater tank not so long ago (I have a 5 gallon at work), so the reefkeeper's ability to alarm on set conditions and send out warnings/messages is a great add on for me.

Thanks for the info though...it will be put to good use.

I've been researching saltwater & reef aquariums for about 2 years and finally got a 36 gallon tank for a small room.
Refugium is a reef octopus w/light, skimmer is a Hydor Slim Skim (65g), two Hydor power heads on the way as well. The refugium, skimmer and power heads are on the way (ordered them online). I'm going to be picking up a heater & T5 lights at the LFS.
I'm also going to be getting a reefkeeper in a few months to avoid buying stand alone pH & temp probes, plus I travel alot for business, so the net module seems awesome.
My big question is with the live rock. I purchased it online (BRS fiji dry liverock...37lbs). It says free of parasites, but never mentions cured vs uncured. Can it be done in the new tank? I also purchased 40lbs of live sand as well.
Any insight on the rock, or ideas in general would be greatly appreciated.

I have a friend who has an apex last weekend he was out of town not far but gone for the night his apex sent him a text because the temp had dropped so he raced home from an hour away to find his furnace wasnt working he fixed the furnace but imagine if he didn have the apex 1000's of dollars could been lost as his tank is completely stocked

i have to say having my apex is a great thing it is web enabled out of the box and can fully control it over the web using my phone has ph and temp probe with many more that can be added, now you can add a wifi camera and watch the tank while on business

Back
Top Bottom