New Lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

francis

Aquarium Advice Freak
I caved and decided to spend about $250 on good reef lights, can someone possibly suggest some lights or name brands that I should look for?

I have a 30 inch long tank - Thank you!

I have been looking for those individual reflectors since people say it makes a big difference.

What does ATI Stand for?

I was looking at the lights at my LFS they were also for growing plants so I was a little skeptical. Theres nothing wrong with these lights then? (I couldnt find any reviews for aquariums about the LFS one) - they were I believe Quantum Badboy lights. They were kinda cheap too any advice on those?

I cannot get the ones you listed simply because they are too wide for my tank

Is there a middle range product :D

24-36" Length about 5-10" width with 4+ bulbs :] (timer and multiple power cords with individual reflectors included.)

Carey hi :D, what kind of lights do you use?

I'm running the nova extreme pro 12 bulb fixturen on my 125g. I have a used fixture on my 55g that is hi end, don't know the brand though.

Unfortunatley, for a 30" fixture you're kinda limited. I had the same issue with my 29g when I had it. I ended up getting the odyssea cheapo lights for it. 4 bulb fixture but no timers, no individual reflectors.

ATI is the company that makes the better bulbs which I would vote for no matter what fixture you end up with.

quantum badboy fixtures are ok, but you'll have to change the bulbs. BTW, the main difference between hydroponics fixtures and reef fixtures are dimensions. the plant fixtures have much larger reflectors and the lamps are separated further apart.
also look at "TEK" fixtures by sunlight supply.

I've come across a new problem now. Even if I decided to get a 24" T5 lights most of the models I've been seeing are over 5" in width. Currently I am using my HOB skimmer + in hood filter + lights that hang off the edge of my tank. The space I would have is about 5" for any new lights I would get.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what I could do?

Attachments

• DSC_0193.jpg
    DSC_0193.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 78
and have nothing for filtration Mr_x? I was thinking the majority of my bacteria thats making nitrate would be in the filter media in there.

Also, getting another hob is not possible because I wanted to get a hob refugium.

Its okay to not have a filter? What would be getting rid of the poop and stuff

There is really no need for a filter if you keep up on your water changes and have good flow in the tank. If you siphon and change 15ish% water a week you should be ok.

what about the stuff that I cant always siphon? Won't they just sit at the tank floor

When doing your water changes turn off all pumps and get a Turkey baster and blow it on the parts you can't reach then just siphon it out. Also every now and then angel your powerheads a different direction this will also help

hmmm, so i really don't need this hood filter? The bacteria in the filter media and filtration's absence is gonna b e okay for my tank? (like im not gonna hit a nitrite spike once my nitrate creating bacteria is gone will i?)

If you have live rock then you have the bacteria necessary to convert to nitrates.

Do you have room on the back for a small aquaclear hob filter for mechanical filtration? Thats really the only use I see for a "filter" is to get the particles floating out of the tank.

Yeah I do, it would be next to the other hob skimmer. I guess I could use that space now because I am gonna go with a separate out of tank refugium.

But my in hood filter media was pretty long, it really won't be missed in terms of water quality?

Back
Top Bottom