New marine tank, please help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulm87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've already had a marine tank before (a RSM 130d) although it's a nice tank I did have a few problems, the tank temperature was fluctuating quite badly and Cyanobacteria was a real problem. Is there any advice to give to stabilise tank temperature without buying a cooler and how to rid myself of cyanobacteria? I am going to upgrade the protein skimmer because the standard one isn't great so any advice about which skimmer to get is also appreciated.

Much appreciated,
Paul

I've already had a marine tank before (a RSM 130d) although it's a nice tank I did have a few problems, the tank temperature was fluctuating quite badly and Cyanobacteria was a real problem. Is there any advice to give to stabilise tank temperature without buying a cooler and how to rid myself of cyanobacteria? I am going to upgrade the protein skimmer because the standard one isn't great so any advice about which skimmer to get is also appreciated.

Much appreciated,
Paul

You will NEED a skimmer. You will have to get the waste out one way or another. Also you could increase the flow in the tank by use of some powerheads. There is a chemical called CHEMICLEAN red slime remover, you can find it at your local fish store for around $10 to $12. It does work and is reef safe.

Last edited:
It's not running at the moment, but I was using the skimmer that came with it and also 2 powerheads to cause some flow. The lights were running from 10 til 6 so 8 hours, during the day I've heard it's ok to have the lights running for example 10 til 1 then 2 til 6 and this is meant to stop the tank temperature from rising and giving it a kind of cooling period.

Is it completely shut down? Is the 130d the cube or the bigger one? If it is possible to move it you could put it near an a/c vent in your house. There is not much more you can do since it has the hood except to either modify the existing cooling fans or add some, cut down on the photo period for a few hours, or buy a chiller as far as keeping it cool goes

It has freshwater in at the minute but it'll be getting emptied and cleaned this weekend. I can't afford a chiller and we don't have air con, I'm from England and there's no need for air con lol

Attachments

• image-599047252.jpg
    image-599047252.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 94
Back
Top Bottom