New Member and New 125

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Supra I just reread the bean animal website and the reference model design pulls 2000 gph from the dt .. I think I'll just follow their guidelines ... Might even do an external box

I'm a little confused with the write up, he uses 1" bulkheads with 1.5 piping, I would think the flow would be only as fast as the bulkheads. I'm leaning towards 1" everything. 2000 gph seems like a lot. I know you can slow it down. But I'm thinking smaller pipe smaller skimmer box.

Yay I cut my first baffle on the wet saw for the sump today, I wasn't sure it was gonna work but it did I'm excited.... I have to wait now because the rest of the glass is at my brothers house -_-

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120715_153334.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120715_153334.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 100
Ok now that I have these baffles figured out I'm thinking about the over flow box design..as I mentioned I want to do a external overflow box with a bean animal to maximize space in the tank, there will be 2 holes drilled with a small OF box so fishies and inverts won't get sucked up. The problem is that the small OF box is going on the side panel of the tank which is 18", this means 18" of surface skimming :( .. I could do a coast to coast but this tank is in a wall I do not wamt to see a long box running along the top of my tank (i sound like I'm whining I know). But I think I came up with a pretty good solution, maybe I can run a single skimming edge along the top .. if anyone had done this please let me know if it works

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120715_164002.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120715_164002.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 75
  • ForumRunner_20120715_164230.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120715_164230.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 60
I don't want a ugly coast to coast OF box along the top so I was thinking a simple skimming edge that feeds into a OF box on the side of the tank with home drilled for an external bean animal would b good.. if anyone have done this can you tell me if it works if not I would still like to hear your opinion

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120715_165002.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120715_165002.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 66
  • ForumRunner_20120715_165027.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120715_165027.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 50
Supra said:
Is the skimmer baffle going to be on 3 sides with the box on the outside?

Yes the baffle will flow into a small box on the inside that feeds the external

So the bulkhead has to be long enough to fit the glass and the external of box? And are you going to do double bulkheads, one to go to overflow box 1 to go to sump? Sounds like a good plan if that's what your thinking. I'm also doing in wall and would like to have as low profile overflow as possible. This would seem to solve that.

I was going to just make the sides and the bottom and silicon them directly to the side of the dt, this way no bulk heads are needed inbetween the tank and the external.. I will use the standard 3 drains for the bean animal thru the bottom of the external

I would think you would need more support on the external. unlike an internal, the water weight will have more of a factor on the silicone holding it. ???

Supra said:
I would think you would need more support on the external. unlike an internal, the water weight will have more of a factor on the silicone holding it. ???

I agree I will definitely look into how to reinforce it

That's why I was picturing a full box siliconed with the bulkheads would help with support. That still might be too much stress on the holes in the tank. I guess you could always just build a support underneath, or use you bean anamal rigid plumbing to help support. Seems risky. Make it happen and post pics

Supra said:
What are you considering for substrate? I'm debating bare bottom, what do you think?

I will start out bare bottom, can always add some live sand if I wanted later

Started building the sump yesterday and put the last baffles in water test tommorow

I was looking at reactors and I was wondering if I can fill my fluval 405 with the media and nothing else? I'm guessing it won't be as efficient as a reactor itself but would it work?

Haven't gotten around to it yet but im going to build a small scale model using a 10 gal to see if my idea will work... Besides that sump is done leak test tomorrow and the 30b I was gonna use as a frag tank is gonna b used as a separate dsb fuge, I was also thinking about a diy algae scrubber what you think?

Back
Top Bottom