New reef. Supplements?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

binaryterror

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was just wondering if I will need any little supplements for my new reef tank when i set it up. If I do, what should I get?

Test kits are a must have before using any additives. I only dose calcium and alkalinity in my 125 reef. I have soft corals and LPS, check out my gallery and you will how the tank looks with very few additives.
Regular water changes using ro/di are a must also

I try to do weekly water changes which will take care of most supplements. But if you have a reef tank I think you need to add some coral vite.for the corals

Ok, that is what I was asking. Is Coral Vite the only thing you need? Also, I will get a test kit. It is coming here very soon.

you do not need any chemical additives. IMO additives should be used by an experienced hobbiest only as it is too easy to get your water chemistry out of whack by using them. I would recommend not dosing anything until you have alot more saltwater experience under your belt and would know how to recognize and react to problems shoudl they occur.

I have to disagree with you on this Hara... In a small tank you can get away with this but in a large tank IMO you need to start dosing cal and alk soon after set up. My reef tank I was dosing a month or 2 after it was running. I was testing every day and followed the directions on the bionic bottles. Without dosing my coralline would never have taken off and once I started adding corals Im sure the low alk and cal would have effected the LPS.
I learned as most do, with trial and hopefully no errors, I also got advice from the LFS and friends. You need to learn sometime and when the tank only has LR in it IMO is the time to learn. I would hope that they start out slow and work up to adding larger doses and only adding after testing the water first. I am ONLY talking about calcium and alkalinity here not Iodine and other suppliments, With them I agree with you 100%
Not sure what coral vite is is that like phytoplankton or is that a alk/cal supplement?

coralvite is a vitamin supplement...

as far as disagreeing, no problems...I suppose my tank isnt all that big at 175. I still do not dose, I do water changes. Rarely has my calcium dropped below 350. My clam seems plenty happy as do my corals.

I guess your lucky... I have problems keeping my cal and alk up right now. I also do regular water changes with Oceanic which people say has high cal?
More proof that no 2 tanks are the same.

As Hara said the coral vite is a vitamin supplement for corals. I suggest it for tanks that are halfway to full of corals.. I also add DT`s for the coral.

I recently have been using a product called Fiji Gold. This product is absolutly amazing. It has all the minor and major trace elements you need and puts your CA right at 480. My corals are looking more full than ever. It is a powder suppliment you add 2x weekly and is made from crushed corals.

Back
Top Bottom