New Reef Tank - Beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
New FTS with added LR. I'm hoping around 1/2 weeks before cycle is completed. If anyone has any tips on aquascaping it would be much appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

• image-1174745392.jpg
    image-1174745392.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 159
Also, I'm getting a slight patch where the powerhead is moving the sand to the bare bottom (see on picture above)

Where would be the best place to reposition the powerhead

Thanks, Olly.

The angle wasn't having any of it but something like this??

Attachments

• image-1271468053.jpg
    image-1271468053.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 129
You just want it to glance off the front glass, not directly at it. :)
Youve got the upward angle looking good though. It usually takes a bit of messing with to find the perfect spot, so dont get discouraged.

Oh, duh, I forgot to ask, what size powerhead is in there? That should have been my first question, sorry.....

It's 3200 l/h hydor koralia! My plan is to get another exactly the same and get the regulator to have one on for 6 hours then that one off and the other on for 6 hours. To make the effect of the tide going in and out. Tell me if this is a bad or good idea haha!

Thinking about getting ready for stocking soon

Any ideas from anyone?

My list so far is as follows;

CUC;
2 fire shrimp
2 cleaner shrimp
6 hermit crabs (blue legged)
10 mixed snails (don't know of any that are the nicest looking)
2 emerald crabs
2 Halloween crabs

Fish;
3 Chromis (is it best to keep them in multiples of three?)
Pair of onyx/maroon clowns
Watchman goby
2 blue/yellow damsels
A small yellow/regal/purple tang and as they start to get too large for the tank swap them out to a friends larger tank.

I also REALLY want a lion fish, but I assume 120Litres is too small for one? :(

Please tell me if this is too much..

Thanks, Olly!

Three tangs in a 30 g is way way too much even if you are gonna trade them away. Its just asking for trouble in my experience.

Any luck with the power heads?

Thinking about getting ready for stocking soon

Any ideas from anyone?

My list so far is as follows;

CUC;
2 fire shrimp
2 cleaner shrimp
6 hermit crabs (blue legged)
10 mixed snails (don't know of any that are the nicest looking)
2 emerald crabs
2 Halloween crabs

Fish;
3 Chromis (is it best to keep them in multiples of three?)
Pair of onyx/maroon clowns
Watchman goby
2 blue/yellow damsels
A small yellow/regal/purple tang and as they start to get too large for the tank swap them out to a friends larger tank.

I also REALLY want a lion fish, but I assume 120Litres is too small for one? :(

Please tell me if this is too much..

Thanks, Olly!

That tank is a bit over 30 gallons. I'd skip the damsels they are jerks. Chromis are fine but they will probably kill each other until you have one. IMO that tank is to small for maroons, why not some ocellaris? Also, why get a tang for a tank that is way to small? I understand your mindset but it will be a pain to catch and needs a bigger tank. No lion if you want it to be a reef with inverts and all. 9 fish is to many for that size tank IMO. I'd stick to 5, maybe 6 and those maroons will own that small tank if you go with them.

By the / I meant one or the other of the tangs Carey :)! Oh well we will have to leave them then!

True, the maroons in the LFS are bloody huge! What does occ mean?? Sorry to be a noob!

Power head is going well too! Just tweaked with the angle for about half an hour and got it perfect! :)

Ah ocellaris are just the common ones don't know where occ came from!

Thanks for the advice, does the clean up crew list seem okay to you?

True, the maroons in the LFS are bloody huge! What does occ mean?? Sorry to be a noob!

Sorry meant to spell out occelaris clownfish haha. They come in all types of morphs and only get about 3". They are also a lot less aggressive than maroons.

Oh ocellaris are just the common ones, sounds good! Does the list of CUC sound okay to you guys?

Cuc looks ok. :) though two each of the shrimp might be a tad much. I would get one of each and go from there

Oh I missed the onyx clowns, those would be fine :). And cuc looks fine to me too.

Thanks guys! I've gone for the ocellaris clowns. Got them home and acclimatised. Seem to be doing well. Having a little fight between the two of them though. Is this normal?

Back
Top Bottom