New Reefer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seeds369

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a FOWLR up and running for about 4 years now. Truth be told I have learned more in the last six months because of forums like this. I recently purchased a small green star poly and I think a little Ricordea with a few Zoa's attached. My tank is a JBJ 24 gallon nano cube. All standard equipment that come with the tank. I added a power head for the coral. I have a clown, lawnmower, coral beauty and a six line in there now as well as my CUC. My main concern is what test kit do I need if I'm getting into coral. Currently I have Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit. What else to I need to test for?

Does it have tests for alk, calcium and magnesium? Those are the big 3 in reef tanks.

I think the Red Sea test kit he's referring to comes with those, but in reality I wouldn't be concerned about those levels. As long as you are keeping up with your weekly water changes you won't have any issues. The stock lighting from the JBJ units should keep corals, though I wouldn't suggest anything that requires intense lighting on the sandbed.
Rather than concern over the test kit, I'd have my focus on the coral beauty being in such a small tank. The smallest tank recommended for dwarf angels is a 75...though I have kept one in a 55 reef system personally without issues. That said, for the coral beauty it was tight. I'd be fearful of aggression issues from this in such a cramped space.

The fish were purchased prior to these forums. I went on the LFS recommendations that also put a chocolate chip starfish in with a bubble tip. Needless to say that didn't end well. I've been lucky that all the fish are laid back and get along quit well. I do my water changes every week. The coral have been in there a week now and they still look good. Thanks for the info guys.

Back
Top Bottom