New saltwater setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jlabonte

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All,

I am transitioning from a 40gallon freshwater tank to a saltwater and I have a few questions:

1) do I need to change out all of my water in the tank before I make it salt or can I utilize the existing water in the tank?
2) in my filter should I get a new bio-wheel or is the one from the freshwater ok?
3) what steps do I need to take to make this process an easy transition?

Thus far I have given my old freshwater fish back to my LFS. Tank is completely empty besides the water from the freshwater tank... I.e. I took out all rocks/plants/decorations etc.

I have purchased the salt and a hydrometer (pics attached)

4) how do I go about mixing the salt?
5) I have been told to get an ppm in the tank to increase flow... Would it almost be better to buy a second filer and have two filters running?

image-3579075682.jpg

image-3427477584.jpg

Also what is order of operations?

1) Water and salinity
2) Live sand
3) Live rock
4) Fish

Good day! I am building my second reef tank " picture attached" I would avoid using the water you have, water specifications are less tolerable in saltwater tanks, specifically alkalinity and heavy metals that fresh water can tolerate, would destroy saltwater. You local LFS may sell R/O water "reverse-osmosis" this is best to start with and add salt too. As for you filter, stick with the one you have, clean it out and you should be able to get away with the same bio-wheel provided you rinse it well. I would snag a power head if you only have the filter, I have ordered a few and will have pictures for you tomorrow or the following day. Feel free to ask any questions.

Attachments

• image-140819484.jpg
    image-140819484.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 119
Thanks Justin!

Ok so yes I will empty out water and start fresh... I will rinse out my filter and clean the bio wheel.

As for the power head I don't need anything crazy since its only a 40 gallon so what do you recommend for cheap?

I would go for a wide spread flow so the prop style pump would be better, I would avoid the suction cup stuff though. Hydor makes pumps that have magnet suction cups, and the only run about 25-30$.

I had one of those for about a week.... In saltwater, you get what you pay for. This thing requires constant monitoring and tinkering and even then it still doesn't pull out nearly as much as it really should.

Do you have plans for a refugium or sump tank? The skimmers that work the best, IMO, are ones that will sit in your sump.

I don't recall you saying what substrate you plan on using, but I wouldn't use gravel in SW. The pieces are too big and it's impossible to get really clean. That will result in a nitrate issue for you down the line. Sand or barebottom would be better than gravel.

Yes, when it comes to substrate it's all about surface area. You could use a combination with gravel but it's for a an older tank that has the needed bacteria to establish adequate bio-filtration. I can snap some pictures for you when I'm home from work.

Bio wheel filters can often get stuck by the salt drying and then stopping

As promised pictures of the hydor pumps I bought and a picture of the a stablished sand/gravel substrate mix.

Now I just need to attach the pictures this time ;)

Attachments

• image-1436767730.jpg
    image-1436767730.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 79
  • image-612528826.jpg
    image-612528826.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 77
Don't bother with a hydrometer ( idk if someone else said this) but get a refractometer

I hope you have like 5 more of those 425's coming... You will notice nearly no flow with those in a 40. Hell, I have one in my 20 long and I wish I would have gone with a 1050.

My 20 long now has a korilia #3 and the 425 on it. Still think I could put a #2 on it and take out the small pumps...

I'll keep that in mind, good thing they are just to induce an ebb and flow in the tanks. I have a much larger pump powering the whole system.

Back
Top Bottom