New saltwater tank 75 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanRamirez57

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I traded an old stretched beach cruiser for it the guy told me it had been set up for a couple years now. Came with a clownfish and another unknown to me fish, a couple tuxedo urchin, a shrimp, a couple mushrooms plus misc coral. I had to completely clean the tank but I think it looks plain. Any ideas on what I can add o make this tank the bomb? Remember I'm a beginner guys and am limited on funds:)

Attachments

• image-103742049.jpg
    image-103742049.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 90
DanRamirez57 said:
So I traded an old stretched beach cruiser for it the guy told me it had been set up for a couple years now. Came with a clownfish and another unknown to me fish, a couple tuxedo urchin, a shrimp, a couple mushrooms plus misc coral. I had to completely clean the tank but I think it looks plain. Any ideas on what I can add o make this tank the bomb? Remember I'm a beginner guys and am limited on funds:)

I would buy couple pieces of base rock, usually under $2/lb and stack that rock. Don't need a lot more rock, just couple pieces. Leave some caves and openings for them to swim through and hide in. You could paint the back or get one of the vinyl ones for pretty cheap at Petco, that would cover up the pipes and stuff in the back and make everything pop. :) do you have a pic of the "unknown" fish?

I don't like the vinyl backgrounds but I will paint it black. Here is the fish he is hard to take a picture of lol

Attachments

• image-1062142167.jpg
    image-1062142167.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 90
Nitrates should always be below 40, but as close to zero as you can get is better. That way you don't end up with an outbreak of algae.

DanRamirez57 said:
I don't like the vinyl backgrounds but I will paint it black. Here is the fish he is hard to take a picture of lol

Yeah, not a fan of the backgrounds either. One of my SW tanks is painted blue, the other black.

DanRamirez57 said:
What should I do like 50%

I would do 50% today, retest tomorrow and if still high, do another PWC. High nitrates makes a fish's internal organs work harder, which is stressful for them and can lead to sickness. What kind of water are you using? RO/DI, RO or even distilled are best. Tap is not good, if you're using tap, that would be contributing to the high nitrates. I buy my water at the LFS for under 0.40/ gal (Petco charges 0.25/g, another charges 039/g). I take my own 5g buckets to the store that are ONLY for my SW tank water, bought them at Lowes in paint section for about $5 for lid and bucket (sold separately).

Back
Top Bottom