New saltwater tank setup...need help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

potter

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, I have a 72 gallon bowfront with crushed coral on the bottom, and 60 lbs of "cured" live rock that I added on Friday. I realize that due to the length of shipment time that it took to get the LR to me (four days), that I will have to let the rock cycle again, but what else will I need to do before adding fish?? I have a cascade 1000 cannister (265 gph) filter system, but do I need a powerhead also? I have been given so many different opinions from the pet store and the rock supplier I am just about ready to forget it!!!

How long will it take to cycle? When I came home from work today there seems to be a whitish/clear stringy substance on the rock. Does anyone know what this is? When and how much water should I change? Anyone use "Nitromax" or "Rock-Prep"??? Do I need to add bacteria to my system?? I know I have alot of questions, but it seems like everything I am doing is going wrong.. Thanks. :?: :?: :?: [/code]

You need circulation in your tank so definitely add power heads ASAP. how much circulation depends on what you plan to put in your tank. The LR should cycle your tank for you. It will generally take 2-4 weeks to cycle. I would keep a eye on your water parameters. After ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate zero out you should be able to add fish etc. Nitrates may not completely zero out but low nitrates will not harm fish. You can do a WC to help this. If you are going to have corals and inverts you need the nitrates zero or close to it.
whitish/clear stringy substance on the rock
Sounds like a clam spawned. no concern

You can use the die-off on the LR you added to feed the cycle. It should take 4-6 weeks for your tank to cycle properly. If you do not have basic test kits for NH3, NO2, NO3 and Ph I recommend gettign them so you can keep an eye on your cycle.

Anyone use "Nitromax" or "Rock-Prep"??? Do I need to add bacteria to my system??
I wouldn't waste my money on it. As Lando said, LR is key to the cycle, and natural biological filtration from here on out. Try to get 1 1/2-2 lbs per gallon.

As far as filtration goes, I wouldn't go any less that 720 GPH. A few Maxijet 1200's will take care of that for you.

You are actually on the right track since you are willing to take the time and ask questions. That my friend is a good start. :p

Mike

Back
Top Bottom