New setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman26m

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok...like my sig says, I'm back into the hobby after an extended furlough. I just setup my tank last week. Dropped the shrimp in to start the cycle on the 11th. Here are the test results as of Friday.

SG: 1.024
pH: 7.8 (going to wait to see if it comes up on it own)
Amm: 0.25ppm
Nitrites & Nitrates: 0ppm

Looks like the cycle is starting. The rock came from an established tank so I'm thinking the cycle will be relatively short/mild. I'm still going to wait until at least mid/late June before considering adding livestock with the exception of CUC as needed to take care of any algae that pops up.

Here is a pic of the setup so far. Tell me what you think of my rock setup. I'm way over the min. recommended amount of rock for the tank size...lol. Almost 60lbs in there!

Also, I'm setting up a 5.5gal sump. I've built 2 siphon overflows and just waiting on the pump. This is my first sump so wish me luck!:)

Attachments

• 100_0520.jpg
    100_0520.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 75
I dig that rock work. :) What size is the display?

Looks good! You can add a pinch of food and check in a few days for ammonia. If none is present then your cycle is complete.

I would not worry about PH during your cycle. It`s going to bounce around during the cycle.

Yeah, I not too concerned about the pH for now. I've already thrown in a raw shrimp to kick start the cycle. I figure another 2-3 weeks and it will be all done.

Just a quick update.

Amm: 0ppm
Nitrites/ates: 0ppm

I guess with all the LR I just had a mini-cycle. The raw shrimp I added are completely gone. Gonna give it another week minimum before I start considering livestock. Added some snails/hermits on Wed just to touch up the tank as the LR had a fair amount of hair algae on it from the previous owners tank.

I would consider doing a 33% PWC before you start adding livestock. As Far as fish what`s going to be first?

You're right on the PWC. It's such a normal thing that I didn't think to mention it :D

I'm still not sure on what the first inhabitant will be. My kids are begging for an Ocellaris Clownfish obviously. I'm partial to small gobies like the Wheeler's. The wife is wanting a Six Line Wrasse. I think it would be really happy with all the rock work with all the little holes and passages I created but, the tank is only a 26gal so I'm hesitant on that choice.

Any suggestions?

Nice rock work. I like the way you left passage ways for the fish as well as water flow. Most people forget about water flow and just pile up the LR into a solid mountain,
Nice,

My hands were pruned up by the time I got the rock the way I wanted...lol. I made the mistake on my last tank with the rock and had the "mountain" and always had flow dead spots. I am very happy with the way it turned out. The fish are always going to have plenty of hiding spots.

PS. Thanks for the compliment! :)

I think the clown will be a good addition. The clown gobies do good in a small tank. Some firefish would be OK even though I`d add them first if you do.

Back
Top Bottom