New setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bray

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I am new to all this and I currently have a 55 gallon saltwater tank that has about 40 lbs of live rock. I have cured the rock and cycled the tank for about 2 months now. I am running a hang on the back fluval 70 gallon filter and I have a protein skimmer on the way. Can anyone give me advice on setting it up from here, like adding fish and what not. Also Do I need to run a wavemaker or powerhead?

I would definitely add a power head, I run 2 on my 55g. It is important to have water movement. Does the filter move the water any? That would be my next step before adding fish I think. Have you researched all the maintenance of a salt water tank? Do you have test kits? A refractometer? Your water quality is the most important thing to keep stable. What sort of fish do you like? I find its good to list them here to get opinions from others about compatibility...

The filter does move the water but mainly on the surface and about 2-3 inches below. Yes I have the saltwater master test kit and the test for sality. I actually found a good online site thst explains all the info about the fish. I guess my question was what fish are recomended as non agressive type as good starter fish. Also how many fish would be ideal to have in the long run for 55 gallons with the fish size running 1"-3"

Cool, well in mine I have 2 x black and white percula clowns (predictable but good beginner fish and very funny to watch) a bennet's sharpnose puffer, a scooter blenny, a purple firefish and a gold stripe cardinal. About 6 fish is a good number for that size. Why I have chosen my stock is because they are all very different looking and behaving and they all occupy a different area of the tank. Where you thinking corals down the line? If so then that will effect the types of fish you get now...

Yeah I was thinking about the same affect, variety. I kind of want it to be busy in the tank, maybe a school of green chromis, flame angel, tang, I would like about 8 or 10 fish. Saltwater fish. com is very informative on the fish tyepe size etc. One concern is having all this equipment clustering ny tank up. As of right now I have the basic filter, protein filter, 2 heaters, thermometer, and now I need 2 powerheads. Im thinking place them all on one side (short side) minus the skimmer, to try and keep it all from looking like a industrial plant lol.

No corals in the future. Long term I will upgrade to a larger tank, then I will proceed down that route.

What's the basic filter? Having one power head on each side would work better, more flow. i think that many fish would be ok if they were all small. As soon as you look at tangs or angels they would be the only ones in there because of their size. If it was me I would stay away from tangs anyway, with our tank size there aren't many that are recommended and they are so susceptible to disease when not housed in large tanks. Just my opinion. Just take it real slow, add one fish at a time with a few weeks between each addition. Did you say you wanted corals down the line?

Where abouts in the world are you? I only have one heater and to be honest I never have it on. And you got lights sorted too?

I have a fluval aquaclear 70 gallon hang on filter which has the bio rocks, carbon and sponge filter inside. Nothing special. So with 2 powerheads and a skimmer I can get rid of the fluval filter?
I am in Fort Lauderdale but I run my AC in mid 60's so that is what my tank water is at the moment. My heaters will be here this week. I read that it is best to run 2 because if one goes down the other is still working to prevent a sudden temp drop and loss of fish if you only ran one. I currently have t5 lighting wich has 3 blue bulbs, 4 white and small led moonlight lighting as well. Other then that I cant tell you much as it was a freebee! It lights the entire house tho.

Yup, fair enough. I am in Australia so have more of a problem keeping the tank cool! I don't run a filter at all but it's up to you. I was a bit the same, I didn't want all this stuff in my tank so just went with the skimmer, 2 power heads and loads of live rock. I do weekly 20% water changes too. If (or when) I upgrade I will def go with a sump/fuge but that could be years away. If your not having corals check out a puffer fish. I love mine :)

Attachments

• image-4055464734.jpg
    image-4055464734.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom