New start, need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefermadness

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all!! I am just getting ready to start my first reef tank and I have allot of questions. I have a 90 gal glass tank 48Lx18Wx22H. It is not drilled. I have looked at the new hang on refugiums, protien skimmers etc.. I want to use 100 lbs Fiji rock and a 3+ in. live DSB. I like the odessea MH + FL +BM lighting unit. I plan on starting with soft corals but would like to end up with anemones, clams, clowns etc.. Is this the right track with lights and can it be done without sump, overflow etc.. and with the hang on tank technology??? I could dump this tank and find another drilled but would like to continue on. I've been reading this site for the last month and have been real impressed with the way everyone treats new people to the hobby. BIG THANKS

You dont have to have a sump. If you get the HOB fuge it will be a sump. MH lighting will be good for those you want to end up with. It sounds like you have been reading up. Cant wait to see your tank when you get going.

I`ve heard of it. Never used them as all I have is VHO`s. But I have heard good reports of them.

Thanks!! What do ya think about the amount of live rock?? do you have a suggestion regarding HOB skimmers?? I think uncured rock cycled in my tank is most benificial due to criiters coming to my tank instead of the lfs tank. Good idea???

LR amount is good. Fiji LR is good stuff. Along time ago I had a skilter HOB skimmer but I did not think it weas the greatest. I have an excalibur now in my sump which does a good job. Yes uncured LR probably did help cycle in your tank but I would be careful about what you wish for as far as critters. Not all of them are reef safe. I got all 200 lbs from my LFS because I dont like surprises. Good Luck.

Back
Top Bottom