New stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike24

Aquarium Advice Regular
My 30g tank is been running for two months now.. And ive seen a lot of new stuff like into the wall of my tank look like a spiral worm with feather duster thing at the end of it, purple algae starting to show up in my water circulator pump, my filter intake, tank wall, live rock, and some worm white/yellowish worm with some hair on the sides length about 2-3 inches, i cant take a picture coz it move and hide fast and it only come out at night or lights off, and some small bugs look like a flea... Is it a sign of poor quality water or healthy aquarium, im new and still learning to saltwater hobby. Thanks

Those are all hitchhikers. The worm is probably a bristle worm. I like mine I have one that I am not for sure how big he is but at least 10 inches but is longer I only have seen one end lol. I am aware that he is in my tank so when I go messing around I am careful because those bristles do hurt. Here is a great hitchhikers guide Chuck's Addiction

flea - amphipod or copepod
purple stuff - coraline algae or cyanobacteria. is it hard, or gooey?
worm - bristleworm most likely

bristleworms and pods don't indicate water quality
coraline algae would indicate good water quality whereas cyano would indicate bad water quality

only way to know is to test your water :)

The purple algea is hard.. Im trying to scrape it off using the magnet cleaner but it didnt work i have to use a razor blade to scrape it from the front and side wall of my tank... Thanks for the reply though

And the worm that i saw inside my tank is skinny and moved fast to hide under the rock... Its kinda look transparent i just can take a picture because it hide quick, im just hoping it will not kill my corals.. I added 1 six line wrasse and skunk cleaner shrimp hoping those two might get it and kill it.

Back
Top Bottom